Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express 2.0 x16 at x4 mode

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2009 10:12:13 AM

You see the string: "3 x Three PCI Express 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x4 mode)"

Suppose i wanted to put three high-end video cards in there in cross-fire. Will be there some handicap for the third one if i put it in the x4 slot? What does it mean "x16 at x4 mode"? Maybe that it will fit but perform less? Thanks.

More about : pci express x16 mode

October 3, 2009 10:42:35 AM

praxis_ said:
You see the string: "3 x Three PCI Express 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x4 mode)"

Suppose i wanted to put three high-end video cards in there in cross-fire. Will be there some handicap for the third one if i put it in the x4 slot? What does it mean "x16 at x4 mode"? Maybe that it will fit but perform less? Thanks.

not sure about the 4x, but it's okay using 8x.. the bandwith capacity will fall to half, but i read some stuff that said that today's graphic cards cannot supply full bandwith to a pci express 2.0, they end up not using the whole slot... anyways... i think it is okay to do it, your sli controllwer will probably divide your screen into 3 parts, two big ones for the x16's and a small one for the x4, so they will process those parts separately..
a c 135 V Motherboard
a c 169 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 11:50:11 AM

4x will give u a performance hit,so if u are going to SLI,make sure u get triple 16x or 8x,the difference between 8x and 16x isn't much but 4x will give u a performance hit
!