Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 8 Developer - domain log on issue

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 20, 2011 7:35:07 PM

I have the 64 Bit developer edition as well as the 32 bit edition - They install nicely on a Dell Optiplex 755 - problem comes after I join our A.D. Domain - our default domain policy requires CTRL-ALT-DEL, then displays a usage policy - then after you acknowledge that you get to the sign on screen - however the system will not go past the usage policy screen... Not the hoped for situation as the only resolution at that point is a restore to previous state.
Anyone else seen this? Anyone have an idea how to get past this? - other than changing Domain Policy that is... ;) 
September 20, 2011 8:12:15 PM

I joined a Win 8 box to our domain as a test, and we also have a network usage warning that is enforced by group policy. It all worked perfectly.... not sure what to tell you.
September 20, 2011 9:21:49 PM

mavroxur said:
I joined a Win 8 box to our domain as a test, and we also have a network usage warning that is enforced by group policy. It all worked perfectly.... not sure what to tell you.

Hummm - not encouraging - thanks for the feed back though :) 
Related resources
September 21, 2011 2:02:31 PM

psydad said:
Hummm - not encouraging - thanks for the feed back though :) 




What else are you enforcing with group policy?


September 21, 2011 5:59:15 PM

mavroxur said:
What else are you enforcing with group policy?

Well - running a gpresult /R tells me that Default Domain policy, Windows Updates and a Workstation policy and a local group policy are being enforced. the workstation and local policies set various sub-policies (lockout time, number of attempts, so on) Default Domain Policy - without going into great detail in an open forum - has in it an "Interactive Logon" policy - this contains the usage message and a password expire warning set at 7 days.
Realize that this gpresult is being run on another PC - because if I join the domain on the Windows 8 PC - I am not able to log on after the reboot...
September 21, 2011 6:52:07 PM

It doesn't sound like anything unusual or all that dissimilar from what we're doing. I'm not sure where to go with that one. When you say that you're not able to log on after reboot, does the box completely crap out and not let you log in at all, or just not log in with domain credentials?


September 21, 2011 7:07:22 PM

mavroxur said:
It doesn't sound like anything unusual or all that dissimilar from what we're doing. I'm not sure where to go with that one. When you say that you're not able to log on after reboot, does the box completely crap out and not let you log in at all, or just not log in with domain credentials?

I didn't think it was anything "too" off the wall ;) 
After I join the domain - reboot - get prompted to do the CTRL-ALT-DEL, so I do - then the usage message displays - and that is all she wrote - I'm stuck at that screen - no other options, normally you can hit enter or spacebar to go through it and get to the enter credentials screen - but not with Win 8.

I guess I'll just bang on it as a workgroup PC for now... But if anyone finds anything, please let me know. I did get 8 updates from Microsoft yesterday, was hoping one of those would fix it, but nope.
September 21, 2011 8:35:58 PM

I'm at a loss. We sound like we have similar setups, so i'm not sure why mine works fine, and yours blows up in your face. I've tried a lot of things on mine, and I only managed to crater it when i tried to use my Win 7 sysprep script on the Win 8 machine :-) I knew it would probably explode, and boy, did it.


September 21, 2011 8:58:16 PM

mavroxur said:
I'm at a loss. We sound like we have similar setups, so i'm not sure why mine works fine, and yours blows up in your face. I've tried a lot of things on mine, and I only managed to crater it when i tried to use my Win 7 sysprep script on the Win 8 machine :-) I knew it would probably explode, and boy, did it.

Well, it is a "beta" after all ;) 
Thanks for looking.
September 21, 2011 9:03:34 PM

Just a thought - I'm running the following version - let's see if there's a version issue maybe...
Build 8102.winmain_win8m3.110830-1739,92eb4451821f030 (and yes, that's a comma in the string 1739,92eb)
September 22, 2011 6:23:06 PM

Good news! I managed to get on to the domain! I joined the domain, but before I rebooted I ran a gpupdate /target:machine then /target:user then let the windows update run - then rebooted and then entered the CTRL-ALT-DEL and at the usage screen had to blind enter my user ID and password and hit enter - then got the screen to enter domain user ID and password once I did that - presto! I was on the PC as a domain user! tried rebooting and at the usage screen NOT entering the user name and password, but I was not able to go past the message until I entered my user name, password and THEN hit enter... shennanigans! That's right I called shennanigans on Microsoft! ;) 
September 22, 2011 9:08:50 PM

Wow, so basiclly you knocked twice, coughed 3 times, whistled the theme to "I Love Lucy", and knocked two times, and it finally let you in?

September 22, 2011 10:01:10 PM

mavroxur said:
Wow, so basiclly you knocked twice, coughed 3 times, whistled the theme to "I Love Lucy", and knocked two times, and it finally let you in?

LOL - yup - that's it in a nutshell. How silly of me! I should have Known! :) 
September 23, 2011 1:02:53 PM

psydad said:
LOL - yup - that's it in a nutshell. How silly of me! I should have Known! :) 





I guess you just discovered one of the many many many flaws in the prerelease :-)

February 21, 2012 12:28:02 PM

Thanks Psydad, you got me past this problem. See, I was in the same boat. Our Logon Policy is two paragraphs long and this apparently pushes the OK button off screen. It wasn't until you suggested I just go on and enter my username/password that I found the the fix: I entered my password, pressed TAB to move from the username field to the password field and Voila! down scrolls the window and up pops the OK button I needed.

I would strongly suggest to Microsoft that they fix this (cuz the user ain't gonna figure this out easily either), but to get past the Logon Policy, one simply presses TAB to find the OK button, then press ENTER.

Thanks again, Psydad (and Tom's Hardware).

--
GB
February 21, 2012 1:13:39 PM

UPDATE:
If you're using a tablet PC (which I am), you can't logon without connecting to a keyboard, because there is no TAB key to press. ARGH!

I also call Microsoft shenanigans!

--
GB
!