Sign in with
Your question

Sensor movement test is way too high

Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2009 7:56:11 PM

Hi,I read the core i7 temp guide but I didn't find a solution I have an Asus P6T with i7 920 running at stock speed 2.66Ghz. When I start a game or try to stress the cpu with Real Temp I quickly get temps around 80°C (I stop the test before getting problems). Idle temp of the cores is around 50°C while CPU is usually 10°C cooler at around 40°C. I did the sensor movement test and this is what I get: 21 - 24 - 19 - 22 Isn't this too high? Vcore is at around 1.1 (Speedfan, CPUID) Even worse...I changed the stock cooler to an AC Freezer Xtreme Rev.2. The above mentioned temps are with the AC. With the Intel cooler I get 15°C more... Hope someone can help and sorry to bother
a c 159 à CPUs
July 19, 2009 10:40:08 PM

Once again, you've got a temp reading that's obviously not accurate. Your system will shut down at 80c or reboot. If you have installed the heatsink correctly, then ignore the temps. I wouldn't even flash the bios if your setup if stable. It's not worth the risk of a dead board from a bad flash just to get accurate temps. The cpu has built in protection against high temps. If you're not overclocking, I would stop worrying about it. Most quad cores run at about 40-60c. I just finished a class at dell about electrostatic discharge damage. If you feel the need to keep adjusting your cpu or board, I would recommend a simple wrist band for esd. They cost 1-$3.
July 19, 2009 10:46:10 PM

Actually it doesn't shut down my pc (it even got over 90C once)

Can flashing the bios help?

thx in advance
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 2:26:29 PM

Reseat the heatsink.
Reapply thermal paste.
Set the fan to always on in the bios.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 2:28:32 PM

The cpu fan has to blow out in the direction of the exhaust fan in the case (top or side).
July 21, 2009 12:31:55 PM

evongugg said:
Reseat the heatsink.
Reapply thermal paste.
Set the fan to always on in the bios.

exactly what I did before posting here, but no change

July 21, 2009 9:16:06 PM

Just reseated the heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste...idle temps a litte better but under load still bad.

But I have a 10°C difference between my cores and cpu

July 22, 2009 4:29:16 PM

Som help please.

Just bought new thermal paste, put it on in 3 different ways, still way too hot as you can see here:

March 2, 2011 4:45:27 PM

Buy the H50 water cooler for 60 bucks. I got mine at Best Buy and it works well. I did add a second fan (Push/ Pull) to it so I have one both in the front and back of the radiator. Now I can't get mine above 71c no matter how hard I push it. One note tho, w/o a fan cooler on the cpu, you might want to add a fan blowing on the motherboard's heat sinks. The pull fan was enough to cool mine. Also run a cpu temp monitor. I don't trust the motor inside the liquid cooling as I know some day it will quit.
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2011 7:31:31 PM

o1die said:
Once again, you've got a temp reading that's obviously not accurate. Your system will shut down at 80c or reboot.

Not true. You can hit a hundred and the system won't reboot.

As for those temps? They do seem a bit high. The Core i7-900 series tend to run a bit on the toasty side though, but even so, you should be able to get down to 65-70C full load with an aftermarket cooler. 80C won't damage anything, so I wouldn't be too concerned, but you should be able to get it a bit lower than that. What's your room's ambient temperature, and how's the airflow in your case?
!