New sys not waking up in the morning

ColdFyre2112

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I recently bought a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P along with a few other affordable components (see THIS for my previous thread for reference)

Anyhow, everything is great so far except for one problem. The issue is that after I go back to my computer (usually hours.... like after sleep or when I get home from work) and turn my monitors on, I can't seem to wake my computer back up. I checked my bios and enabled legacy usb KB/Mouse support and that helped once, but that was it. It's now happened every time I leave my system on and then try to come back to it after a long while.

Any hints or suggestions would be much appreciated! :) Thanks!

ColdFyre2112

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Sorry, forgot to mention that :)
I'm running vista 32 and I hag aleady disabled any sleep/power down function. I'm not even sure how it's going to sleep in the first place, yet it is.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Im assuming youve got service pack 1 correct? If so, make sure you dont have any proprietary software that might interfere with power usage. IE the asus eee pc im typing on has a cpu frequency adjustment application. Then disable ALL power saving options in Windows. other than that idk. ive got ubuntu 9.04 and XP SP3. I played around with the PDC build and beta of Windows 7 but thats as close as ive come to using vista outside of a friends house.

ColdFyre2112

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
yeah... running sp1. Only software I can think of that MAY be causing this is Gigbyte's Dynamic Energy Saver software... but I don't think it loads with the system.. only when I load it.
http://www.giga-byte.com/FileList/WebPage/mb_080104_des/tech_080104_des.htm

I'll take a look at it when I get home to see if it's somehow active and if it has some sort of option to put the system to sleep. Last time I looked at it, I didn't see any option menu.

ColdFyre2112

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
So far, this is my conversation with Giganews tech support:

My computer won't wake up when I leave it on for extended periods of time. I've gone into the Vista power management settings and turned off all settings. I manually turn off my monitors when not in use. I've enabled legacy usb support for the keyboard and mouse in the bios. Any idea where I can look for additional settings so the computer will NOT go to sleep or at least so I can wake it up without having to hit the reset button?

Answer : are you currently running in standby mode?
If so is it set to S1 or S3 mode?
If S3 mode make sure to examine your memory which S3 is related to RAM, attempt to test with single module of memory installed instead of both

Question : "are you currently running in standby mode?"
--via bios? unknown. please specify how I can tell
If so is it set to S1 or S3 mode?
--set to S3 currently. (Default) Will try to set it to S1 to see if that changes anything

Answer : Please test with S1 as well, if it only occurs with S3 please examine your memory and attempt to test with one stick installed

Question : tried with S1 and the "no wake up" still happened (comp was NOT inactive. I had numerous downloads/uploads going)

Will switich back to S3 with only 1 stick of ram

So that's where I'm at now. Going to S3 w/1stick of 2gb g.Skill ddr2 1066 ram and seeing if there is an issue. I still don't see how the S1 vs S3 is relevant since I don't WANT my system to sleep or go into low power mode... I don't know why it even goes there as I thought I've disabled it all