Sign in with
Your question

GA-X58A-UD3R -- won't let me connect 2 IDE HD at the same time

Last response: in Storage
November 20, 2010 9:12:20 PM

I have this motherboard (GA-X58A-UD3R):

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

If you look at the specs it says:

"1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices"

So, sometime back I connected just 1 using the ide cable that came with it and everything was functioning. Then today, I decided to connect another one, but it wouldn't let me. It will only let me connect one at a time.

When I connect both together it hangs up at the start up screen in windows 7, then after like 5 minutes it would log in. When I checked if it the drives showed up it my computer, it would only show one drive has an un-formatted drive -- which is strange because when booting up on one of the post screens it would say the hard drive with a number like 68gb, when it is 2 separate hard drives of 40gb each.... thinking it was a raid 0?

I thought it might be the master/slave thing and even tried putting one on the black connector with the jumper clip and the other on the end gray connector with no clip. Didn't make a difference. If I unplug either, it would work fine.

How can I make it both work at the same time since the MB said it supports up to 2 HD?
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
November 20, 2010 9:26:45 PM

Let me get this right... you set one drive as master and connected it to the end of the ribbon cable and you set the other drive as slave and connected it to the connection in the middle of the cable? Thats how it should be.
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 9:36:34 PM

Depending on the drives The one on the end of the cable should be set to master with a jumper.
The second drive in the middle of the cable should be set to slave also with a jumper installed .
Look at your harddrives and see if they are marked . If not look online at the manufacturers website for directions.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
November 21, 2010 1:30:20 AM

You can also put both drive's jumpers to cable-select and see if it works.
!