GA-X58A-UD3R -- won't let me connect 2 IDE HD at the same time

choowoo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I have this motherboard (GA-X58A-UD3R):

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#sp

If you look at the specs it says:

"1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices"

So, sometime back I connected just 1 using the ide cable that came with it and everything was functioning. Then today, I decided to connect another one, but it wouldn't let me. It will only let me connect one at a time.

When I connect both together it hangs up at the start up screen in windows 7, then after like 5 minutes it would log in. When I checked if it the drives showed up it my computer, it would only show one drive has an un-formatted drive -- which is strange because when booting up on one of the post screens it would say the hard drive with a number like 68gb, when it is 2 separate hard drives of 40gb each.... thinking it was a raid 0?

I thought it might be the master/slave thing and even tried putting one on the black connector with the jumper clip and the other on the end gray connector with no clip. Didn't make a difference. If I unplug either, it would work fine.

How can I make it both work at the same time since the MB said it supports up to 2 HD?

Depending on the drives The one on the end of the cable should be set to master with a jumper.
The second drive in the middle of the cable should be set to slave also with a jumper installed .
Look at your harddrives and see if they are marked . If not look online at the manufacturers website for directions.