Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Suggested power supply supermicro x8dah

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2009 5:05:57 PM

Hey all,
Building a video workstation with the supermicro x8dah+.
Got 2 Xenon processors and currently one GTX 285 video card and hoping to upgrade to 2 very soon. I was trying to use hec Zephyr 1000 1000W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI but I cannot seem to run with any stability.

The board requires the standard 24-pin connection, but then also 2 8-pin connectors (1 per cpu, but both are required for the system to load up). The power supply didn't have 2 of the 8-pins so I purchased an adapter from newegg that made the necessary conversion.

My question is really what is the best practice here? I'm trying to save money, but more important is that the system is running stably. I've searched and haven't found anything that makes me think "hey this'll work". Anybody have suggestions? Thanks!

-masonjames
October 12, 2009 11:44:43 PM

masonjames said:
Hey all,
Building a video workstation with the supermicro x8dah+.
Got 2 Xenon processors and currently one GTX 285 video card and hoping to upgrade to 2 very soon. I was trying to use hec Zephyr 1000 1000W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI but I cannot seem to run with any stability.

The board requires the standard 24-pin connection, but then also 2 8-pin connectors (1 per cpu, but both are required for the system to load up). The power supply didn't have 2 of the 8-pins so I purchased an adapter from newegg that made the necessary conversion.

My question is really what is the best practice here? I'm trying to save money, but more important is that the system is running stably. I've searched and haven't found anything that makes me think "hey this'll work". Anybody have suggestions? Thanks!

-masonjames

I building a system with the same board. I looked at a lot of PSUs. The one i wanted was the sliencer 910 from PC P&C - however this is no longer available. I ended up getting the enermax revolution 850 watt. This 850 from enermax hasa 70 dollar rebate right now at the egg. Any of the enermax revolution series will work. Also look at Corsair HX1000. OCZ Z series 1000M and the 850M will work.
m
l

Best solution

October 20, 2009 1:56:33 PM

go with the Corsair 1000HX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... IKONIK Vulcan 1200W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., or the Rosewill Bronze series 1000w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... All of these supplies come with two 8 pin connectors for dual processor configurations. I personally wouldn't use adapters, i would go with the raw secondary connector. anyway, i hope this helps.
Related resources
October 22, 2009 3:04:51 AM

Hey all,
Just wanted to update you and let you know that I went with the BFG Tech EX Series 1200 Watt Modular Power Supply and the system is up and running beautifully.

I'm not sure if it's the extra 200 watts or (more likely) the fact taht it comes with the ability to support both chips on the board natively. Regardless, I've got the power supply running the board inside the COSMOS 1000 case and it's kickin'. Thanks again for the responses!
m
l
October 24, 2009 1:44:08 PM

Sweet! I have the cosmos 1000 myself, I am in the works of building a dual Xeon workstation out of it. Its a beautiful case with PLENTY of room!

Caleb
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2009 1:21:56 PM

Hi,
I don't understand, I have buy the X8DAH+ (For the moment I don't have in my hands, I wait the postman...)
I have see a picture of the two 12V EPS connectors, they are the same shape :
(TOP: square pin / round pin / round pin / Square pin, BOTTOM : round pin / square pin / square pin / round pin) x2
But I have buy a thermaltake toughpower 1200W, and the first 8 pin connector work with the first connector of the motherbord, but the second doesn't (the second are alternatily Square pin / Round Pin -> see the manual of the power supply from the web of thermaltake).
Moreover, I have see a test of the BFG Tech, It seems that the second EPS 12V connector are not ok with the X8DAH+ (3 round pins + 1 Square... http://www.tweaktown.com/popImg.php?img=bfg_1200_ex_013...)
Anyone can help me ?!!!
Thanks by advance.
m
l
February 5, 2010 10:56:54 PM

Did you ever go SLI? I have this board and want to go SLI as well but i'm not sure if the board supports sli?
m
l
!