Overclocking and CnQ

phetality33

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i want to over clock my CPU (phenom 720) but i don't want my computer to sound like a jet plane with all the fans maxed all the time. When i go to over clock can i just change the multiplier and leave everything else or will CnQ cause problems if its on.

Solution
ASUS is known good for oclox with CnQ - this is very valuable for oclockers.

Other boards not sure - Giga has had problems and might be in process of fix this re new bios. - some boards so far.

I hear this works on MSI - again not sure if all boards, or some boards, or what.

Asus just does it right. CnQ does full 4 p-states, and oclox is retained after reboot. works well.

Some other boards have been observed to reset oclox to default on reboot.

People should complain excessively to mobo makers because this is obviously do-able, asus does it right, and Giga can fix it, cos they did on one mobo, but will they on others?

this is unofficial info - but asus is leading here.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
From most of the treads that I have read, CnQ usually doesn't start having issues til' you start getting around @3.6 The key word usually.
Don't know about the MoBo your using, but the Asus board I'm using has 3 profiles in the BIOS under Smart Q-Fan Profile that can be set to Performance (2500rpms=100%), Optimal (increases from 1500rpms as temps go up), and Silent (which stays at 1500rpms)
So you may want to check your manual to see if your MoBo has some kind of PWM for your CPU fan and other fan connected to MoBo headers.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have my Phenom II 940 @3.6ghz on a Asus M3N79-T deluxe and have C&Q enabled and have no issue's with it at all. It down clocks when it should and goes back to full volts and 3.6ghz without issue's. However when I installed AI suite it wouldn't allow C&Q to down clock my cores or lower my cpu volts. I am running water cooling so temps and noise are not really a issue for me.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
ASUS is known good for oclox with CnQ - this is very valuable for oclockers.

Other boards not sure - Giga has had problems and might be in process of fix this re new bios. - some boards so far.

I hear this works on MSI - again not sure if all boards, or some boards, or what.

Asus just does it right. CnQ does full 4 p-states, and oclox is retained after reboot. works well.

Some other boards have been observed to reset oclox to default on reboot.

People should complain excessively to mobo makers because this is obviously do-able, asus does it right, and Giga can fix it, cos they did on one mobo, but will they on others?

this is unofficial info - but asus is leading here.

Solution

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
One thing I can say is that I am running raid 0, on two WD 640gb blacks and I duel boot vista 64bit and windows 7 64bit and when I play dawn of war II for some reason, the screen flickers when in the menu area and other parts of the title options. I don't see this flicker in the game when I am playing, So I have started playing DOW II on Vista instead of Windows 7 RC 64 bit. I have not tried to turn off C&Q so I do not know if this is a issue or not. I have the same drivers for my 4870's installed, the latest.

phetality33

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
well i overclocked to 3.2 last night and ran vantage mark. my score went from 7200 to 8000. this is with CnQ ON, and i noticed that during the cpu test my cpu fan did get loader and the went back down after the test. my MB is a gigabyte 790x ds4 with the latest bios F7. So it seems to run fine with CnQ so i will probly leave it at 3.2 since my gpu score(2 4850's) didn't change much with the cpu boost.

TRENDING THREADS