i5 2500k - Temperatures do not match?

k-kid

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Hi!

I just recently finished building a pc for myself for the holidays. Thankfully, all my components were in working order and the Windows 7 installation was a breeze.

I'm planning to overclock the CPU soon, so I downloaded Realtemp to monitor my temperatures. Now here's where I get confused.

In RealTemp, the temperatures on idle are around 27-31C, which surprised me quite a bit. But, in the BIOS, it reports that my temperature is around 34-38C? When I saw this, I immediately thought that these temps were too warm, at least for my taste, for a non-OC'd 2500k on a Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

So basically, RealTemp reports a different (and lower) temperature than the BIOS. I'm confused as to which one is actually true.

What do you guys think?
(Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm new to this stuff :??: )

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
They are both right.

I think in the BIOS the CPU can't go into lower power states and thus is slightly higher.

In Windows it can enable the lower power states and yield a slightly lower temp CPU.

Nothing to worry about.

SW11

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Those temperatures are fine, temperatures are always higher in the BIOS because the CPU can not clock down, as it does when the CPU is idle in Windows.