Overclockable budget machine (pls help!)

jesusjones

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hey all.

I'm trying to put together a decent gaming system on a damn tight budget. but i also want to start learning about overclocking, so i need components that are conducive to that kinda thing.

I'm going to start buying bits for it tomorrow, hopefully have it built by monday at the latest.

this machine will be mostly for gaming, with a bit of photoshop and 3d work. budget is only about 550USD, but ive got an old moniter and HD.

I'm a bit of a noob, but i have learnt alot the in past couple of days (thanks to google sending me here on most of my queries). you seem like a helpful bunch, so hopefully you can point out my mistakes, or at least point me in the right direction.

anyway all i've really decided on is a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR mobo ($126USD), with a e8400 cpu ($185USD).

but when i got to choosing some RAM, it seems that DDR3 has almost no advantage over DDR2, and i would be better off sinking the money into a better processor. is this true? and if so, can anyone recommend a comparable DDR2 mobo?

if i stick with that mobo, ill probably go with Corsair 6GB "For X58 MB/i7 Core" (hmmmmm?) ($112USD)

although apparently DDR3 sticks produce less heat (and they run at a higher stock MHz). i donno, really need some help with that one.

i'm going to stick with my old 80gig hardrive and cathode ray monitor until i get some more cash (i am computerless atm, need to get something going before i shrivel up and die).

so that just leaves the videocard, and about $144USD.

i am thinking "Gigabyte GF9800GT 512MB" should be nice. (still under investigation)

so basically

MOBO.... Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR ($126USD)
CPU.... e8400 ($185USD)
GPU... GF9800GT 512MB ($140USD)
RAM.... Corsair 6GB ($112USD)

total $563USD +my old maxtor 3.5series 80gig HD, and huge crt (with one of the plug pins missing :??: - doesnt seem to affect it)

anyone know what kind of power that would need (for overclocking)? ive got a 450W nobrand.

and i think im just going to use stock cooling (or rig up a deskfan) for now.

like i said, i'm an utter nublet, so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
how did you find an e84 for 126$? even in the UK ex vat which usually works out cheaper than in the US when converted it is £123.

also drop the 9800gt for a 4830 since they are just as powerful, run on a smaller die(65nm vs 55nm) and are only $99

jesusjones

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
hey, thanks, ill add those missing details to my post.

i'm in brisbane australia btw, i know those prices arn't great, but i wont get any better deals without shipping stuff from melbourne or overseas..

they have a couple of aussies posting in this section of the forum that are more than decent at these builds..."outlander" and "croc". Hopefully they see this thread soon enough.

jesusjones

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009

good call, i'll look into that one.

after a bit more shopping i found `microstar' 9800gt for 111USD and a 'ATI Hightech ATI HD4830 PCI-E 2.0 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 575/1800MHz' for a few dollars more (both within range of where i live)

i'll look into the specs and variants of them after i finish editing my main post.

I would ditch that DDR3 motherboard. Is the GA-EP45-UD3LR available to you? Notice it's missing the "T" which means it's the DDR2 version. You could then just pick up some quality DDR2 800 RAM and save a bundle without really sacrificing any speed. You could use the money saved by going with a DDR2 setup to get a better GPU.

jesusjones

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
thanks again hell :)

seemed like a good idea, so i looked into it, however...

ddr2 version of this mobo actually costs more, i could only afford 4gig 800mhz ddr2 if i went with that option.

i really don't get it. from cheapest to most expensive the boards go....

GA-EP45T-UD3LR
GA-EP45-UD3L (no raid/sata)
GA-EP45-UD3 (different onboard sound*)
GA-EP45T-UD3R
GA-EP45-UD3LR

*the L seems to stand for "Home theater quality 8-channel High Definition Audio". and no L means " Blu-ray playback supported by high quality 106dB SNR ALC889A HD audio"

the prices seem backwards to me (the beginning of the end for moores law?)

but i don't think that bothers me, since i don't even have a DVD player :whistle:
(XP comes on a cd-rom right?)