Need advice on mobo/cpu switch - intel to AMD

I don't see any compatibility problems, but I don't know if you'll see much of a performance difference if any in gaming. You will notice a difference if you do a lot of video encoding or use other software that is optimized for multiple threads. If you're looking to enhance the gaming performance, your money would be better spent on a new GPU.

What resolution does your monitor run at? What are you expecting from this upgrade?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I agree with the GPU statement. I am having trouble with my mobo, so i will deal with this first. I was about to drop the hammer on a 4870 or 4890 1G when i started having issues.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
no no. I will reinstall the OS. I am asking about the hardware. I think everything will be ok, i just wanted a couple of eye to give me a sanity check. I wasnt sure about the DDR2 800mhz. Most AMD boards are 1066mhz.

I don't think you need to re-learn anything just because you changed the MB and CPU. Applications will look the same regardless of your CPU type.

You're not getting DirectX 10 right now with XP, and you're not getting full use of your 4GB of RAM either. You should get a 64-bit version of Vista (any time) or Windows 7 (probably at the end of this year). Then you will have a lot to re-learn, I'm afraid, but it's worth it.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
64Bit when Win 7 comes out. I have been using Win 7 beta on another HD since the beat was release.

Re-learn. Mostly i am worried about cpu voltages and such. I have no experience with AMD voltages. I guess i will be reading the how to stickies alot.

My cooler is made for the AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket. It comes with an adapter for LGA775.