Sign in with
Your question

Error: You need to format the disk in drive e: before you can use it.

Last response: in Windows XP
September 15, 2011 4:18:40 PM

Hello everyone. I'm having problems with my Asus EEEPC 900HA's USB drive and flash card reader. The problem first started last night after I installed a driver for my Android phone. After I installed the driver It kept asking me to format Drive E (in this case the SD card slot on my phone). I then tried using a Kingston 8GB Class 4 card as well as an MP3 player (Cowon D2) test out the problem. When I connect both they also give me the "You need to format disk" error. Both devices also appeared simply as Drive E (whereas before it would specify that it was a Kingston storage device or a Cowon D2). I tried uninstalling the phone drivers to see if that would do anything, but I'm still getting the same message. I also tried uninstalling the USB drivers and that didn't work either. I tried both on my desktop and both worked normally, so I know its not a problem with those devices. Any idea how to fix this problem?
September 15, 2011 11:32:24 PM

Somewhere along the lines something has mapped something wrong, perhaps in your Android installation has.

Try plugging a external drive in and setting it as E drive..
m
l
September 16, 2011 2:44:20 PM

Tried plugging in my Western Digital 500GB external hard drive. It showed that a USB Mass Storage device was connected, but when I went to My Computer the drive hadn't shown up.
m
l
November 16, 2011 8:58:40 PM

Not to sure what to do.. But I know if two drives are mapped to the one letter you can bust a code in cmd and change the driver letter of one device to something unused.

Or you can jump on another unit and make the drive letter something different and unused.
m
l
!