1066 vs 800 MHz Memory Speed

How much difference does it really make if memory runs at 1066 MHz rather than 800 MHZ?

I'll be getting 3 or 4 GB of RAM.

Probably a 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive.

OS 64 bit -- Vista Home Premium now, 7 eventually.

Probably either an Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor E5300 [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB] or an an Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB].

I am NOT a gamer but will tend to have several windows and apps open at same time, and would like to be able to run video off internet without problems.
4 answers Last reply
More about 1066 memory speed
  1. Basically no measurable difference (0 to 1.5%), but less problems when installing DDR2-800 instead of overclocked DDR2-1066.
  2. Quote:
    How much difference does it really make if memory runs at 1066 MHz rather than 800 MHZ?


    PC26400 800MHz. = 6.4GBs/sec. data transfer rate RAM to CPU.

    PC28500 1066MHz. = 8.5GBs/sec. data transfer rate.

    High quality PC26400 will overclock to near PC28500 transfer rates and at 4 CAS in some cases. PC26400 is avalable with voltage requirements as low as 1.8v.
  3. GhislainG said:
    Basically no measurable difference (0 to 1.5%), but less problems when installing DDR2-800 instead of overclocked DDR2-1066.


    thanks.

    so i can use 800 speed memory with either of the processors and there will be no tangible operating restriction as compared to a 1066 speed memory?

    but then you also seem to say that using 1066 speed memory with the Core2Quad (1333 fsb) will cause fewer problems.

    i'm confused (as usual)
  4. Quote:
    but then you also seem to say that using 1066 speed memory with the Core2Quad (1333 fsb) will cause fewer problems.
    Certainly not. I said that DDR2-800 causes less problems, regardless of the CPU FSB. Most people who post here about DDR2 memory issues use 1066 memory, not 800. Do yourself a favour and buy G.Skill PI Black DDR2-800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209. They run fine at 800 MHz with 4-4-4-12 timings at 1.9V.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Product