External RAID? (Video Editing)

masterbunny5

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
So I currently only have one 120gb hard drive in my computer with everything on it. I am planning to start video recording and editing on my computer, so I am looking to get some more storage space. SSDs are out of my price range for the amount of space I need, so I was looking at RAID. How much more performance is RAID > standard for video editing? Is it worth the extra money for the second drive and controller? Also, is it possible to set up the RAID as an external setup that can run off of an eSATA port? Reason being, my ISP has a security blanket for all P2P, even if the download/program has an option to disable P2P. Therefore, it would be nice for this extra space to be external so I can put it on my laptop and update at a local starbucks or something. If not, I can always run the RAID as my main drive in my computer, and run the current 120gb HDD as external.

Main question though: is RAID worth the extra $ for video editing, RAID 0 or 5 if so, and is it viable for an external eSATA storage device?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Apache asks a good question but in terms of RAID and Video Editing you do not need it for Video Editing. Indeed if you are going to have RAID then Mirror RAID is much better as you are more protected from losing hours of work. A good 7200 HDD at 1 TB SATA 2 would be up to the task no problems. Of course modern Video Editing Programs demand at least an i5 Lynnfield and 4 GB RAM.

masterbunny5

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
System:

ASUS P7P55D EVO
Intel i5-750 (OC'd at 3.6 GHz)
2x2GB GSkill PC3-12800 RAM
GTX 460 1GB
120GB 7200 RPM HDD, but getting another drive, so yeah.

PS, you mentioned 4 GB RAM. Although I have 4GB, it's really only 3 due to 32-bit OS. I can change to 64-bit if recommended.