• Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • Support
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2009 10:29:45 AM

Hi I just want to ask about what i saw in the reviews of this card, if this is a problem. Any help would be much appreciated

Beware Not supported well

Pros: 40nm bleeding edge GPU tech. Sapphire card is the nicest looking of all 4770 imo

Cons: I can also vouch for complete and utter lack of driver support. Have tried AMD/ATI direct, no support yet, Sapphire drivers are junk. Someone mentioned the HIS drivers are better, haven't tried those yet. No support at all in Win 7 RC 7100. Can't do 1920x1200 with the Standard display driver.

Other Thoughts: This is a joke launch of a flagship manufacturing process. You can't tell me TSMC is having problems making drivers too. :/ 
Only buy if you need a trophy of the first 40nm GPU.

Unacceptable drivers and support

Pros: Did not arrive broken or damaged. Price point.

Cons: Latest version of reference CCC and drivers from ATI, ver 9.4 does not support their own chipset. ATI directly states their reference 9.4 does not support the HD4770 and would not answer why. Would not confirm that the next ver 9.5 would support the HD4770 either. ATI stated the OEM disk from Sapphire is a hacked ver of the 9.4 drivers only, and could be very bad. Graphics and visuals really poor using the only OEM drivers available on the included OEM CD. Sapphire themselves does not even provide any drivers or driver support for this card what-so-ever and there are NO drivers from Sapphire via their own website.

Other Thoughts: It took 5 emails through Sapphire to even confirm why this card was not listed and could not be found until today. Our old X1950 pro 15 generations or more ago running CCC and drivers 9.1 reacts and looks better than this card and drivers from Sapphire. Direct phone calls to ATI/AMD and to Sapphire for their "support", and lack of decent and latest reference drivers completely unacceptable.

Customer Reviews for SAPPHIRE 100277L Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

More about : 4770 driver problem

a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2009 12:19:21 PM

I've ordered two of them so I'll soon see how bad it is for myself. However the Sapphire has consistently been $7-$8 cheaper than any other version (in the uk) so if i have to search around for better drivers then it's probably still worth it.
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 7, 2009 7:19:26 PM

Yes its bad ATI dropped the ball big time on this. Mine is performing very similar to my old 3850 according to benchmarks. If the 9.5 drivers dont work very very well then the card is going back under not fit for purpose.
We basically got sold defective hardware.

Mactronix
Related resources
May 12, 2009 4:45:57 PM

Is there any news on when updated drivers can be expected?? Which ones are best ti use if not the ones that come with the card (mine is a sapphire).
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 7:09:45 AM

Meant to be today 13/5/09 hopefully when im done here i can go download them and give them a go. The ones that come with the card are the only ones that work untill some new ones come out.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 11:53:39 AM

My two cards finally arrived today and I'm having no problems with the drivers...

13798 3dmarks at stock clocks and 14511 when overclocked a little bit to 830/850.

Driver version on the disc says 13-004 (8.560), I'll test the crossfire on my friends pc later.
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 9:45:11 PM

Hmm yes the Sapphire driver is definitely a bit odd. My cards scored 18500 in 3dmark but i could see the screen being choppy in places.

Should be some real nice performance with the real drivers, hopefully not too long before they are out.
May 23, 2009 11:14:23 AM

jennyh said:
Hmm yes the Sapphire driver is definitely a bit odd. My cards scored 18500 in 3dmark but i could see the screen being choppy in places.

Should be some real nice performance with the real drivers, hopefully not too long before they are out.

by the way i also ordered this card recieve it today, how is your HD4770 today and do ATI release the driver for this card? so far what the latest stable driver for this card? any help would be much appreciated :)  thanks in advance
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2009 12:01:46 PM

Catalyst 9.5 is out and it works fine.
May 26, 2009 11:07:42 AM

jennyh said:
Catalyst 9.5 is out and it works fine.

!