If I change my mobo and CPU will I have to...

Herkdrvr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
...reconfigure anything?

In other words, when I add new memory, the computer recognizes it and then its business as usual.

What happens if I keep all my HDs, memory, graphics etc, but change out the mobo and CPU. Would this change require some configuration issues or will it be seamless?

I'm considering ditching my Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 & E8400 in favor of an ASRock X58 + i7 920.

Any examples or suggestions will be helpful.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

Solution
Which operating system? If you have a SATA hard disk and the old and the new motherboards are configured the same (IDE, AHCI or RAID), then it should work. However you will have to load new drivers for some components, e.g., Ethernet controller, CPU, sound chip if they're different, etc. At a minimum you want to make a complete backup of your hard disk just in case something goes wrong.
Which operating system? If you have a SATA hard disk and the old and the new motherboards are configured the same (IDE, AHCI or RAID), then it should work. However you will have to load new drivers for some components, e.g., Ethernet controller, CPU, sound chip if they're different, etc. At a minimum you want to make a complete backup of your hard disk just in case something goes wrong.

Solution

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
a motherboard and processor are about 50 things working together much more than adding more memory.

It might work it might not.

you would be better off with a fresh windows install, then you dont have old motherboard etc drivers installed.

Herkdrvr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

Currently I have Vista, however I have ordered W7. I suppose I could wait & buy the components now & then install everything together.
Thanks for replying to my question.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

Herkdrvr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I wanted to upgrade the components now, and then do the OS. I guess I'll have to do a little more research.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Herkdrvr