bushnaq

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Hi, i recently build my own pc it works great no flaws, but just when i added my old HDD to the new build the boot would just freeze.. D; the first time i power on the system it works fine but if i restart it freezes then i have to power off and power on in order to get a successful boot can any one help me? its pretty annoying

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
1) have you tried scanning your old HDD for damaged clusters etc
2) Is the power supply sufficient, if its a relatively low power supply say 220W, you may have a bit of a drain that causes the power supply to shut itself off safely rather than burn out... this would then rest once it had sufficiently cooled. Another symptom of this would be it occurred more frequently when you were doing a ot of disk based or virtual memory based tasks... also if you have a new Graphics card, again this could be additional strain... you can normally get by with just a 220W, despite what they say, but in some cases its not always that way... in that field I am no expert but different disks etc draw different wattages and so its a sort of trial and error area... IF it is an extremely low wattage power supply, you might want to buy one thats say another 50W on top of what you already have (no need to go overboard as to be fair a 500W aint gonna get you any better performance if you can make do with a 350W)... failing that, maybe its that your master drive is absolutely chock a block and starting to have difficulties.

Possibly the secondary HDD is in need of a complete reformat, this could definitely be the case if there was for example a clash of file systems...

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
All of this applies only if its actually hardware of course, you ought to ensure you have no viruses either... beware of the OS faults too, in XP the operating system will still hide hidden files despite being told not to if they have all three attribute flags R(read only) S(System file) and (H hidden file) set simultaneously... they can be
found using cmd.com and a dir *.* /aH /aR /aS and even shown in any folder using attrib *.* -R -S -H. But do so dubiously.

If you find wuauclt.exe in your "C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\" or equivalent then you really may have a problem and it may infect your root in which case you really need to get at least microsofts securit essentials update, though I'm not sure even taht can do anything about it, you'd have to ask for help on an anti-virus site...

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
PS if you find the wuauclt.exe in that folder, delete it, also disable windows-automatic-updates in the Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services as it is likely it is mimicing it... the copy in System32 folder is actually likely to be genuine however which of course adds to the problem, but the genuine version does not hide itself so by looking with the explorer and then using dir *.* /aR /aS /aH you should hopefully be able to assess if its a problem or not...

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Sorry I am gonig on some... do check the power leads are good and tight to both
drives too, I had a similar problem it kept closing down... until I noticed it happened most often when my feet were next to the machine, a just ever so slightly not tight as nuts power lead seems to have been the problem and simply squeezing the connectors a weee bit tighter with the end of screwdriver then removing the drives
and really making sure they were good and tight to the pins was all it apparently took. (With SATA this obviously more of a problem than IDE (PATA) to correct, it happens less likely but requires the obtaing of new power leads for the drive... because of that silly little plastic conector rather than proper MANLY metal fasteners! Also as the lead is direct from the power supply you might have to (heaven forbid it) get some insulating tape and a soldering iron out and do some cutting and hacking to achieve the replacement... and then its more fiddly too...

Despite all that, the claims of SATA having lower EM interference - hmmm higher frequency electrical changes through less but thinner wires... hmmm any physician will tell you the higher the frequency of electrical change the higher the EM produced -LIE

Faster read/write times - Not noticably, often questioned and dubious as to how you get more information through 16 wires faster than you can get it through 80...
even allowing for a few dead ends and a few power leads that doesn't add up...

Despite all the questions and differences to real word experience of these so called "marvels" one point is the thinner smaller wires of the SATA probably have a lower resistance and so overall reduce load on a power supply... probably the ONLY truthful thing that I can find on them... well that and that they are cheaper.

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Sorry went off on one there... maybe I should start a protest...

I'm sick of fiddly pissy feminine little connectors proliferating everywhere... we want many connectors for manly devices (chuckle). We all kow how easily damaged mobile phone chargers at that bit too... I expect we have all wondered what was wrong with the old slide-in pin system that was perfectly adequate and even came in various sizes, all quite often being able to be obtained from a single maind adapter with variable ampage-voltage selector and 4 or 5 of these sockets on the end... am I the only dinosaur here that remembers them and thinks "hang on, they were way f**king better than these sh*tty little plastic things"

Yeah, it does. As clock rates increased it became easier to deal with a single stream of bits than to control (and wait for) the "simultaneous" arrival of multiple bits when using external wires. But I digress, back to the OPs problem . . .

@OP:

First, we need to know more about your configuration, ie, what is your mobo make/model (or PC brand), and what is the type of each HD and Optical drive you have installed (SATA or PATA)?

And where exactly during the boot does it freeze? Before "BIOS" is finished checking out the system (post)? Or somewhere during the OS load?

bushnaq

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I have a good corsair VX450 WATT power supply i think its pretty strong, @Twoboxer it freezes after bios check it checks then freezes

mobo: 890GPA-UD3H
CPU: phenom 2 x4 955 Oced to 3.65GHZ
GPU:Zotac 9600GT
main Hdd: WD caviar blue 500GB
old hdd : samsung HD321KJ 320GB
Psu : Corsair VX450 watt
and a dvd drive

While I'm trying to download your mobo manual - its apparently coming by carrier pigeon - what happens if you take the data and power cable off of your DVD drive, and use them on your old HD (leave the DVD drive unconnected)?

bushnaq

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
ok i tried to boot without the old HDD and no freeze worked as it should and when i restart and boots as well , pluged it in again and the same thing happened again xD freeze

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think you did what I asked.

- Remove the data cable and the power cable from your old HD.
- Take the data cable plug out of your DVD drive, and plug it into your Old HD.
- Take the power cable plug out of your DVD and plug it into your Old HD.
- Try to boot up.