HELP! Gateway BIOS corrupted

bob73

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I recently replaced an original pata HD in a profile 5 with a 250Gb SATA. The machine only recognized the new drive as 128Gb so I decided to flash to the latest version of the BIOS to see if that would help. BIG MISTAKE..... the machine is now a brick. When powered up, it emits one high pitched beep and one low pitched beep. Nothing is displayed on the screen.

Based on the things I've read, I should be able to move the BIOS jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3 and power up the machine with a BIOS restore floppy in the drive to restore the BIOS. I've tried this but am missing something.

The windows based BIOS update from Gateway comes with a windows app, a .bin, .map, and a .sys file. I've tried putting the .bin .map and .sys files on a floppy to restore the screwed up BIOS. I've also tried just placing the .bin file on floppy. Either way, when starting up with the floppy, the drive attempts to read it then emits 4 connected sounding beeps.

HELP!

bob73

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
It's a profile 5 S/N 1099497543. It was part of their "professional" line which was sold to the now defunct MPC. Drivers and such can still be found on the gateway website.

bob73

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Gateways supposedly have a non-erasable portion of the BIOS that allows the machine to do nothing other than read a bios off of floppy and restore it. This machine acts consistent with this, but doesn't seem to like the contents of the floppy disks I feed it.