What RAM should I be looking for?

SadisticChipmunk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hi All,

I tend to use this community for anything to do with Hardware. I am about to purchase some new ram and I am curious as to what I should be looking for.

I am currently running an Intel i5-750 2.66Ghz overclocked to 3.99Ghz. My ram is 4Gb - Patriot DD3 1066 running at 7-7-7-20

I am looking to upgrade to 8Gb of Ram, and I am wondering what speed I should be going up to, and if it will make a huge impact. I have read that the Overclock can be held back by subpar ram but I could not find any specifics. Some forums had mentioned that the size of the ram should increase with the overclock speed... 1333/1666/2000 etc...

Also I have noticed that the latency of most ram larger than what I am currently running is slightly slower, how much of an impact would this play as well?

Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

With your current RAM plus 4GB more you won't have a big performance jump, since even if the new RAM runs at 1600, when you install it on the mobo, the mobo will set to 1066 to run in pair with the Patriot that you currently have.

I suggest you re-sell the current RAM and get some Ripjaws 1600 CL7 or CL8 that will give you a lot of performance.
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

With your current RAM plus 4GB more you won't have a big performance jump, since even if the new RAM runs at 1600, when you install it on the mobo, the mobo will set to 1066 to run in pair with the Patriot that you currently have.

I suggest you re-sell the current RAM and get some Ripjaws 1600 CL7 or CL8 that will give you a lot of performance.

Solution