Sign in with
Your question

Problems with my M2N-SLi Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2009 4:03:03 AM

Hi, this is my first time posting on these forums so forgive me if I post incorrectly. I build my computer a little over a year ago and these are specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
Memory: Gskill 240-pin DDR2 800 (4 x 1GB)
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor (socket AM2)
GPU: XFX Nvidia Geforce 8600GT (x2)
PSU: BFG Tech 800W ATX
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatality Champion

Problem:
Two weeks ago my computer started to randomly freeze. When I say freeze I mean everything would lock up OS, mouse, sound, etc. At first I thought it was just a vista problem because it only froze after the computer had been running for a few hours but after a reformat it still happened. I tried formating a different working hard drive and got the same problem. Then for a few days it started to work fine then the problem came back and was even worse then before. It started to freeze at random times during the boot up. Sometimes it would happen before the BIOS message even showed up and other times it would let me get all the way to the login screen then freeze. It even happened a few times when I was in the BIOS menu.

I think it is a problem with my with motherboard since it even freezes up while in BIOS menu but I am not confident enough in the trouble shooting abilities to say for sure. I would like to get some other opinions on this problem before I start spending money on new hardware. If it does seem like a problem with my motherboard and I need to replace it, is there any suggestions you guys can make on a new motherboard that would be compatible? I am on a somewhat tight budget and I would like to keep all my current hardware if possible. Also it does not have to be an ASUS board, I would actually prefer it not to be since I have had so many problems with them in the past with ASUS. If you need more information I will do my best to accommodate you.
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2009 8:49:19 AM

Based on your story, I'm assuming that are issues with your memory. Have you tried running memtest?
m
l
October 8, 2009 5:29:14 PM

vgrippa said:
Hi, this is my first time posting on these forums so forgive me if I post incorrectly. I build my computer a little over a year ago and these are specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
Memory: Gskill 240-pin DDR2 800 (4 x 1GB)
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor (socket AM2)
GPU: XFX Nvidia Geforce 8600GT (x2)
PSU: BFG Tech 800W ATX
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatality Champion

Problem:
Two weeks ago my computer started to randomly freeze. When I say freeze I mean everything would lock up OS, mouse, sound, etc. At first I thought it was just a vista problem because it only froze after the computer had been running for a few hours but after a reformat it still happened. I tried formating a different working hard drive and got the same problem. Then for a few days it started to work fine then the problem came back and was even worse then before. It started to freeze at random times during the boot up. Sometimes it would happen before the BIOS message even showed up and other times it would let me get all the way to the login screen then freeze. It even happened a few times when I was in the BIOS menu.

I think it is a problem with my with motherboard since it even freezes up while in BIOS menu but I am not confident enough in the trouble shooting abilities to say for sure. I would like to get some other opinions on this problem before I start spending money on new hardware. If it does seem like a problem with my motherboard and I need to replace it, is there any suggestions you guys can make on a new motherboard that would be compatible? I am on a somewhat tight budget and I would like to keep all my current hardware if possible. Also it does not have to be an ASUS board, I would actually prefer it not to be since I have had so many problems with them in the past with ASUS. If you need more information I will do my best to accommodate you.

I used to have that board myself. I always got tons of BSOD's. I updated the BIOS, reformated, i couldnt find out what was wrong with it. Eventually i blew it up :lol:  I then bought this....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

have had no problems as of today... :heink:  ugh watch it go bad now!
m
l
October 8, 2009 11:58:59 PM

Well as of right now I got everything working again. I basically took my entire computer apart and put it back together making sure everything was connected/plugged in right and made sure the water block was making good contact with my cpu. It has only been two days but so far so good. If the problem comes back I will do a memory test and see what happens. Thanks for the help r_manic and BroHamBone.
m
l
!