Sign in with
Your question

Hard disk dead - how to get the data off?!!

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2010 7:27:59 PM

Hi All,

OK. I'm an idiot and haven't backed up my data from my laptop in ages. Now the hard disk has failed (it starts to spin up, then goes 'click' and the motor stops; then it repeats all over again). I have placed it in my external bay and it does the same thing. So the drive has died. Ar$e.

But, how do i get my data off? I've read somewhere about cooling / freezing the drive to give it a shrink and see if that fixes it. But i have no idea how long to cool it for.

Or if there are any other ways of attempting to fix it before freezing it?!!

All ideas are welcome!!! Cheers,

More about : hard disk dead data

November 22, 2010 7:59:29 PM

cocksy_boy said:
Hi All,

OK. I'm an idiot and haven't backed up my data from my laptop in ages. Now the hard disk has failed (it starts to spin up, then goes 'click' and the motor stops; then it repeats all over again). I have placed it in my external bay and it does the same thing. So the drive has died. Ar$e.

But, how do i get my data off? I've read somewhere about cooling / freezing the drive to give it a shrink and see if that fixes it. But i have no idea how long to cool it for.

Or if there are any other ways of attempting to fix it before freezing it?!!

All ideas are welcome!!! Cheers,

The freezer trick is the simplest thing to try: wrap the drive up well in plastic bags, then freeze it for a few hours. Let it warm up to room temp before unwrapping it, then see if it works.

Next in line is to replace the controller board of the HDD, but I'm told it must be identical to the original, even the same firmware version.

Last, a professional data recovery service can do the job, but you probably know this will cost several hundred dollars (US).

The New Number Two
November 23, 2010 7:40:51 PM

I have never tried freezing a drive before is it effective? yes that is correct you will need a duplication of the chip board along with the correct version of firmware, as far as i know you can buy some pretty advanced tools online to edit and update firmware on HDDS
November 24, 2010 3:12:35 AM

I never had to freeze a drive, and don't know anybody who has done this. It is rumoured to work sometimes, but I can't vouch for it.

The New Number Two
Related resources
!