Sign in with
Your question

Q9550 vs Phenom II 955

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2009 8:12:37 PM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't really find that many topic on this using the search function.

I'm trying to build a new computer with a budget of around $1200-$1300, including s&h, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I mainly decided on some things (case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, dvd reader, harddrive, and PSU) and have a leftover budget of $600-$700.

I'm mainly using this for gaming, watching anime/movies, and college work. I'm especially emphasizing gaming since I want to play with high(est) setting on some more graphic intensive games.

I'm going to get the Radeon 4890 as graphic card, if that has any factors in this.

I read some of the benchmarks from this site and got opinions from other people, most of them agreeing Q9550 would be better, but I'm worrying about the the "775 dead end" for Intel. Switching what I have planned out to an i7 will add some $200 to the budget (I planned a set up with both the Phenom II and Q9550, both hitting $1300 to $1350 range). In addition, some tests shown the i7 doesn't really add too much to gaming, and sometime even fall behind.

In the end, I'm conflicted what to get for the CPU. Is it worth also to move up to DDR3 ram if choosing the Phenom II?

More about : q9550 phenom 955

a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 8:53:49 PM

The Q9550 and the PhenomII 955 BE are close enough to each other in performance that only careful benchmarking would show any difference. For all practical purposes the only difference will be the platform. P45 = 790GX or X48=790FX. There's a minimal cost increase and slight performance increase from moving to fast DDR3 from DDR2, prices have dropped for DDR3 so it's better to go with DDR3 instead of DDR2 since in the future DDR2 will rise in price as DDR3 gets cheaper and cheaper. The socket LGA775 will not see any new processors except for some possible small refinements such as the 9550S while the AM3 socket should see new CPUs into the future (PhenomII 965 BE due out Aug.) If you can't afford the i7 and can't wait till the i5/P55 is released then i'd go AM3/DDR3/PhenomII
July 20, 2009 8:55:53 PM

ShadowSnake said:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't really find that many topic on this using the search function.

I'm trying to build a new computer with a budget of around $1200-$1300, including s&h, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I mainly decided on some things (case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, dvd reader, harddrive, and PSU) and have a leftover budget of $600-$700.

I'm mainly using this for gaming, watching anime/movies, and college work. I'm especially emphasizing gaming since I want to play with high(est) setting on some more graphic intensive games.

I'm going to get the Radeon 4890 as graphic card, if that has any factors in this.

I read some of the benchmarks from this site and got opinions from other people, most of them agreeing Q9550 would be better, but I'm worrying about the the "775 dead end" for Intel. Switching what I have planned out to an i7 will add some $200 to the budget (I planned a set up with both the Phenom II and Q9550, both hitting $1300 to $1350 range). In addition, some tests shown the i7 doesn't really add too much to gaming, and sometime even fall behind.

In the end, I'm conflicted what to get for the CPU. Is it worth also to move up to DDR3 ram if choosing the Phenom II?

The 955 is faster in games, and probably slightly faster in other things than the q9550. Also the 955 will work better with the ATI card, which is a little bonus for AMD chips. IT also is alot better and easier at overclocking. And you won't be stuck with it since AMD will be releasing new AM3 socket chips to compete with intels high end chips next year, so you can upgrade easily. Also the best mobo for it is the MSI 790FX GD70. It's ddr3, so i would get DDR3 ram to be future proof.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 8:59:23 PM

Honestly, the two are basically identical. You'd be hard pressed to notice a difference. The phenom has a slight edge at stock clocks, but when overclocked, they're pretty much identical. The Phenom does have the advantage of a potential upgrade path though (if you go with an AM3 board).
!