Sign in with
Your question

Usb ports not working but providing power to device

Last response: in Windows XP
September 16, 2011 5:04:23 AM

Hello,
i have a machine running windows xp.
recently, the usb ports stopped recognizing any device i plug in. i assumed it was a motherboard problem, and as i was planning on upgrading anyways, bought a new motherboard.
am now running core i3. with an asus micro atx motherboard.
but the problem persists. i went to device manager, and the usb to pci controller tells me that there is some problem, but its not able to find out what the problem is.(tried uninstalling and updating drivers, but no go)
can someone help?
a b \ Driver
September 16, 2011 7:10:37 AM

shreyassv said:
Hello,
i have a machine running windows xp.
recently, the usb ports stopped recognizing any device i plug in. i assumed it was a motherboard problem, and as i was planning on upgrading anyways, bought a new motherboard.
am now running core i3. with an asus micro atx motherboard.
but the problem persists. i went to device manager, and the usb to pci controller tells me that there is some problem, but its not able to find out what the problem is.(tried uninstalling and updating drivers, but no go)
can someone help?

When you are in device manager right click the USB Root, and Scan New Hardware.
m
l
September 18, 2011 10:16:00 AM

i did that earlier man- and did that again just now.
i right clicked on the serial bus controllers-
it had the option to scan for hardware changes- it does not help.
it has 2 sub elements-standard enhanced pci to usb host controller- i uninstalled them, and then right clicked on the usb controller- it reinstalls the 2 again- but i get the msg that its not working properly...again. :-(

man, i cant even reinstall windows without going and buying a godamn dvd drive as the one i am using is an external usb based drive...
m
l
!