HAF 932
Intel DX58SO Socket LGA1366 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
OCZ Gold Tri Channel 3072MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz

PSU:
Ultra X3 1600w PSU

HDD / OS
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD (7200/16MB/SATA-3G)

PERIPH:
LG 22X DVDRW SATA
ULTRA 3.5 FLOPPY DRIVE W/MULTI CARD RDR
Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty
Diamond Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB PCIe

----------------------

Hey all, I'm having a problem figuring out what is causing my TDR issues with my video card. First, I'm only getting TDR issues with Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3. I only get a TDR with UT3 with all the graphics stuff turned all the way up, if I turn UT3 graphics settings all the way down I get no TDR.

Basically I get the "Video driver failed but is now working again" lingo within 30-300 seconds of gameplay in crysis or UT3. All other games that don't use as much power are working fine. Company of Heros works great, DoW 2 works great, elven legacy works great, overlord works great, etc.

I've disabled Aero, reinstalled catalyst drivers, ran ccleaner, ran a 20 hour ramtest with no errors, updated the BIOS, disabled the HDMI audio becuase I have it hooked up to my 42" plasma TV through the HDMI adapter w/ my sound blaster hooked up to the speakers. I don't know what could be causing it.

Because it's not random, and only occurs when running UT3 and Crysis Demo, I think it is hardware related but I DONT know exactly HOW to figure out what hardware is failing. Any ideas? Thanks again, if you have any questions let me know!
May 7, 2009 7:02:33 PM

That is one hell of a huge PSU...

At any rate.. TDR can be software, hardware, or both. Figuring out which is REALLY a pain in the ass..

If you pass memtest we can pretty safely say it is not the CPU or RAM.

Check for overheating of the video card. Clean up the dust if that is an issue. Uninstall all drivers, make sure all bits are gone, clean the registry, and isntall the latest drivers.. I know you ahve problaby already done that..

The only way to be sure the card is working is to try it in a different machine.

Run GPUz in the background and check temps. Benchmark some runs with crysis and monitor what the conditions on the card are when it fails. Also, you can go into teh registry and turn TDR off.. if the card is actually at fault your computer will crash when the TDR would normally happen. This wont entirely tell you teh driver is tno at fault.. but it will tell you if the driver is not worign with TDR nicely :) 
May 7, 2009 7:03:29 PM

Just saw you are using the crysis demo.. that wont have been patched.. as such it is an unstable POS.. lol. Don't use it as a measure of stability.
Related resources
May 7, 2009 7:09:56 PM

The machine is brand new (built it monday!) and so I don't have any dust. The radeon was VERY hard to seat onto the mobo, I can try reseating it. I can check for overheating too, as far as reinstalling dirvers etc I've done that, and cleaned the registry. I'll do my best to benchmark it too. How do you remove TDR? I can try that too.

I did swap the ATI card for an nvidia 9400GT and the 9400GT (while slow in comparison) can run UT3 with everything turned up and no TDR. Is this an indicator that I have a bad video card?
May 7, 2009 7:27:27 PM

Well, the 6400 workign doesnt point at the hardware being faulty per say... it does indicate an ati problem though.. lol

Being that I had TDR problems up teh ass with my old (defective) 4870 and they went away entirely with my 4890's I can't realyl say ati drivers are borken in this regard.. but the TDR issues are really common.

I see you've already posted in my FAQ on the ati forums.. so I wont point you there.

Thre area few registry keys for TDR, Find them here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeo...

Best of luck. Generally if the issue happens on the latest drivers and windows updates (i was unable to update beyond 8.10 with my borked 4870's for various reasons) and goes away with a different card it is pretty safe to say teh card is failing for some reaon. (not power in your case...lol)
May 7, 2009 7:44:36 PM

Dude, you got a Diamond!

I know this may seem useless, but Diamond earned a spot on my personal "do-not-buy" list for a long list of reasons. Even if it is only a driver issue, I would suggest RMA-ing your card for any other brand.
May 7, 2009 8:24:49 PM

The TDR keys weren't there!
May 7, 2009 10:15:45 PM

... Why would you buy a 1600W power supply?
May 7, 2009 10:59:19 PM

Hi ponchato, because I wanted one :) 

I have RMA'd this unit, expecting another one in a week or so!

I'll let you guys know what happens.
May 7, 2009 11:34:24 PM

tonechild2000 said:
because I wanted one

Touche.
May 15, 2009 7:14:33 PM

should have the new video card by monday next week,. I'm contemplating a reinstall of windows considering swap outs and also difficulties getting my I/O drive to work with my SB
May 18, 2009 8:39:54 PM

Alright, finally got my new 4870x2, popped it in, ran ut3 and it plays perfectly without crashes!
!