The problem first started when I purchased a used IBM desktop and introduced it to my network.
The internet connection didn’t work. I tried new cables. Didn’t work. I installed a PCI NIC. Didn’t work. Tried directly connecting to the modem. Didn’t work. Tried troubleshooting with Microsoft documents. Didn’t work.
I take it to a friend’s house and IT WORKS. NO PROBLEMS.
That computer ran Windows XP Home. I obtained a new computer for a brief period of time and installed Windows XP Pro on it. It had the same problems – that spanned hardware and operating systems.
My cable provider refreshes the IP address daily, so it’s unlikely it’s a service problem.
I switched out the cable modem with a newer model. Same problems.
I’ve tried manually setting the negotiation speeds. Same problems.
I’ve tried the Open DNS solution (further eliminating the possibility of a service problem).
Now… the laptops work wirelessly and directly connected! Windows XP, Windows Vista, and OS X!
As for the actual error messages I’m getting:
- Network Cable Unplugged when directly connected to the modem
- Constant state of reconnecting when behind the router
- Occasionally, I receive some information: about 5% of a simple website loads. Then the connection fails again. This happens once in a blue moon.
I was an IT guy. I know a little bit about computers. I’ve never had this problem and I’ve never heard of something like it.