Formating HD that has XP

A couple questions before I start:

I had some virus probs and lost some files so am
considering formating and re-instaling a new xp pro;
Old xp is home version from Dell.

If I format the partitioned drive that xp is in will it
require that I format the other portion of the drive with
programs, will I be better of to reinstal every thing from
scratch (hope not).
Any tips that arn't in help.
Thanks for any info you may have.
RB

Hello
If you format the partition that you are putting XP Pro on there will be no
need to format the other partitions on the drive they will be perfectly
fine, it is always a good idea to back-up any important information that is
on the partitions that you are not formatting just in case something goes
wrong.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
"DRBL4" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A couple questions before I start:
>
> I had some virus probs and lost some files so am
> considering formating and re-instaling a new xp pro;
> Old xp is home version from Dell.
>
> If I format the partitioned drive that xp is in will it
> require that I format the other portion of the drive with
> programs, will I be better of to reinstal every thing from
> scratch (hope not).
> Any tips that arn't in help.
> Thanks for any info you may have.
> RB

Greetings --

Formatting the partition that contains the OS will not affect any
other partitions on the hard drive. However, any applications
installed to any other partitions will most likely have to be
reinstalled, in order to recreate the hundreds (possibly thousands) of
registry entries and to replace the dozens (possibly hundreds) of
essential system files back into the appropriate Windows folders and
sub-folders.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: