Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking for the first time, looking for advice.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 12, 2011 2:18:24 PM

Hello everyone, I've been around on Tom's hardware before, my current machine was built using input from the people here, and I once again turn to you for advice, this time for something that I have no experience and limited knowledge in, overclocking. I have been thinking about overclocking for a while, but I doubt I have the cooling I need for it, so I've held off. Currently I have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition processor and a HIS iCooler V Turbo H583FNT1GDG Radeon HD 5830 on a GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard, all wrapped up in my old Antec 900 case with a OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W power supply. All the fans are the ones that came with the case and with the CPU.

My main question is what people suggest for good fans for overclocking, and any advice on software or the like is also appreciated. I'm not totally against liquid cooling, but this is my gaming computer and it gets moved around a lot for LANs and such, so I'm hesitant to use it because I'm worried all that moving around could cause leaks. Also don't want something too loud, because I don't want to annoy my roomate too much with the sound of a pump running constantly. Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for any advice you can give
a c 239 K Overclocking
January 13, 2011 7:27:43 AM

u need good & silent CPU cooler :
- scythe Kabuto good cooler for AMD CPU.
- Scythe Mugen 2 works great with the 965. It's very silent
+ Thermal Paste AS5

Related resources
January 13, 2011 3:50:19 PM

Everything depends on your budget!

If you really wan't a silent beast I would recommend the Noctua NH-D14 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

This has only got great reviews and is silent as a mouse!

If u wan't a cheap bang for buck cooler I would recommend the one that I got. CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

the Hyper 212 Plus keeps my oc'ed Athlon II X3 445 @ 3,920GHZ 1,45V (3,1Ghz stock) at max temp 44 C after runned prime95 in 2 hours. If you even want lower the temps more you can add another push fan on the other side of the HS. It will reduce the temps with about 5-7C.

I also got the Antec 900 case, but I added 2x120mm input fans at lower front and door in addition to the 120mm+200mm exhaust fans that comes with the case.

Good luck with your 965! Take screenies after successfully run of 2 hours prime95 stbility check and post in the AMD Overclocking club tread!
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 11:38:40 PM

matta85 said:

I also got the Antec 900 case, but I added 2x120mm input fans at lower front and door in addition to the 120mm+200mm exhaust fans that comes with the case.

Strange. My three 900's came with the front fans. Where did you get your case?
January 15, 2011 8:25:31 AM

I got it from a norwegian internet shop called www.komplett.no. It has preinstalled 120mm exhaust at the top back (where some mount their psu) and a 200mm exhaust at the top!
!