ATI driver problem

TomCody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Hi all, I have an ATI X1950 GT AGP and can't use the latest driver or any one older ,it just refuse to work. My monitor keeps shutting off or the games froze almost right away. I tried 6.12 driver and up to 9.4 driver, I get the same damn result.

Is there anyone that knows what's going on and have a solution? (beside buying another card).

AMD Athlon 64 Dualcore +4600
MSI board,
2 x 1gb Corsair DDR2 800,
ATI X1950 GT AGP.

Thanks

TC

Have you tried running Driver cleaner or the ATI Catalyst uninstall utility ?
The latest Drivers dont support your card any more and im guessing you have part of those drivers still on your system, this would cause any drivers not to work.

Mactronix

jennyh

Splendid
It's not a driver issue when all of them are doing the same thing...

Try 1) Heat issues, maybe the fan needs a good clean, or 2) It might just be broken.

TomCody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I have a clean slate right now. I formatted and got a clean install. I didn't try any driver cause I got no ideas which one to choose. They all gave me the same crappy results.

Any advice to which driver I should try?

Thanks

TC

TomCody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

System is clean, fan working fine and temps are in the norm.

TC

Dont see how you get to that conclusion. Im guessing the system was working ok before update to latest drivers which dont actually support the OP's card. Seems logical that its linked to the drivers, No ?

Mactronix

TomCody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I just use the 8.6 driver and now all my icons on the desktop are invisible, lol. There's some graphic stuff missing in Windows explorer...Icons, frame limes.

I just don't understand what the heck is going on....

TC

jennyh

Splendid

He just said that none of the drivers work. The way I took it, the card probably started failing so he decided to try out new drivers, but they all failed. That points to a hardware fault for me.

The clean install and 8.6 doesn't seem to have worked. What I would do now is remove 8.6 and try 9.3 on the relatively new install. If it's not working then, the card or something else is broken, but it's not the drivers.

TomCody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Ya I tried other drivers, even Omega's ones ....nothing works...I guess the card is done for. I'm just wondering why I can cruise the web tho ...Ahh well, it's over my head anyway.

Thanks for the help, guys... ;)

TC :sol: