Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocked bundle cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 12, 2011 3:12:43 PM

Hello there, not sure if this is the right place to put this (if it is not please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum-and apologies)

I am looking at building a system using this bundle from aria.co.uk

• Intel® Core™ i3-540 Overclocked @ 4.20GHz - Dual Core CPU
• 4GB Mushkin Silverline 1333MHz 9-9-9-24
• MSI H55M-ED55 Micro-ATX Motherboard
• Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
• Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
• Pre-Assembled & Tested
• 1 Years Warranty
http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundles/Gaming+Bundles/Gl...

and putting it in a Xigmatek Asgard case
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/MIDI+To...

Now will I have sufficient cooling from the Hyper TX3 CPU cooler and from the Xigmatek Asgard case with added rear and side fans for the 4.2 Ghz overclock to stay cool?

The intended use of this system is to run World of warcraft at ultra settings whilst also having google chrome open and windows media player.

Thanks for any help or feedback.

Einholt
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2011 8:28:07 PM

what is your graphics card going to be? the onboard? becouse i doubt it would run wow at ultra settings...
January 12, 2011 8:51:29 PM

videl said:
what is your graphics card going to be? the onboard? becouse i doubt it would run wow at ultra settings...


This is the rest of my build:

Xigmatek Asgard Black Edition+1 extra rear fan

Corsair TX Series 650W ATX2.2 SLI/Crossfire Compliant Power Supply

1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 OC 768MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Operating system:Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit OEM

Thanks

Einholt
Related resources
January 13, 2011 12:00:45 AM

Sooo...can anyone help with the cooling question?
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2011 3:36:36 PM

The cooling should be overall fine on that system as long as your ambient room temps are normall...4.2Ghz is pretty high but I would assume that the i3 wouldn't make too much heat...I'm comparing to an i7...so you should be fine as long as you don't go any higher than your 4.2 and make sure that the computer stands in an open space...other than that I pretty sure your cooling will do...
January 17, 2011 10:12:18 PM

I have posted this build over on another techie forum and they came up with a few issues on the build, now I have no idea if what they are telling me is fact or just opinion but here are some qoutes from that thread:


To be blatantly honest, you are probably going to fry that board first. µATX boards are compact in size and usually hold more componentry than their full sized bretheren. Running a heavy OC on that board is going to stress it out. µATX boards that are built for "OCing" is a crock. Twice as much current running through much smaller, compressed traces in a very crowded environment to begin with. µATX boards were originally intended for low power consumption use in smaller, more "friendly" cases.

I have seen many µATX boards of better quality than that MSI, fry from a light overclock because they just can't handle it.

*******************************************

Have to agree there, though I haven't seen the bios options on that board, generally, mATX just don't have the overclocking options that full ATX boards do. If your case and budget allow it, you're always better off with ful ATX for overclocking.

*******************************************

I have to agree with my teamates on this one. Those boards cannot handle the throughput that a Atx board can and while your Cpu may last "20 years", your board will not! The boards chipset is going to run extremly hot on such overclocks

*******************************************

Thinner conductors are nice from a miniaturization standpoint but they do come at a cost -- increased resistance. The resistance of an electrical conductor is inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area and directly proportional to its length. Therefore, all other factors taken into account, shorter and fatter wires are often better.

Resistance also factors into power loss, which is dissipated as heat. Any kid who has shorted a thin wire across the terminals of a battery understands this concept instantly (and often painfully).

********************************************

As I said no idea if these comments are true but one of the guys started by saying the i3 would run to hot and fry,then when I said I had researched and that it would not him and others posted those comments.
January 17, 2011 10:32:37 PM

they're not talking about the i3 there, they're talking about the motherboard
and i have to say, their logic seems right
to overclock a cpu, you not only have to increase core clock and core voltage but you'll have to add voltage to some links between cpu and motherboard components (like RAM, Southbridge etc.)
this'll mean more heat and because micro atx boards have thin conductors, it sometimes might mean boom

a work around would be possibly an atx board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

how much would this build cost you because i really have doubts about its performance capabilities
January 17, 2011 10:41:40 PM

dhongkool1 said:
they're not talking about the i3 there, they're talking about the motherboard
and i have to say, their logic seems right
to overclock a cpu, you not only have to increase core clock and core voltage but you'll have to add voltage to some links between cpu and motherboard components (like RAM, Southbridge etc.)
this'll mean more heat and because micro atx boards have thin conductors, it sometimes might mean boom

a work around would be possibly an atx board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

how much would this build cost you because i really have doubts about its performance capabilities


Total build is costing me £560 including delivery, by the way when I referenced what I said about the guy talking about the i3 frying he was talking about the cpu itself not being able to take that overclock, when I explained to him I had done my research and that it would he then went down the route of telling me the mobo would fry, I can take good advice but I find it fishy when someone comes back with something else that is wrong *after* they have already pointed something out, this person is also trying to push me to go for a pentium e***** dual core system.

Feedback I have got elsewhere on this issue claims that the i3 runs at low voltages and that's the i3 overclock therefore does not have to have as much voltage running through the mobo, again no idea if this is true.
January 17, 2011 10:45:15 PM

are you talking uk pounds or euros?
for that money you can get a much better system
January 17, 2011 10:48:40 PM

UK pounds
January 17, 2011 10:49:48 PM

ok i'm working on a build for you on a uk website
January 17, 2011 10:52:21 PM

dhongkool1 said:
ok i'm working on a build for you on a uk website


Cheers fella :love: 
January 17, 2011 11:05:40 PM

DESCRIPTION
QTY
AVAILABILITY
UNIT PRICE
TOTAL



162871 :: Asus Radeon HD6850 1GB PCI-Express Graphics Card (0.5 Kg)


In stock
£123.40 ex VAT
£148.08 inc VAT




153890 :: Antec True Power 550W Continuous Power Supply (2.5 Kg)


In stock

£63.33 ex VAT
£76.00 inc VAT



Q280125 :: Kingston HyperX 2GB PC3-12800 DDR3 Performance RAM (0.1 Kg)


In stock
£16.66 ex VAT
£19.99 inc VAT
£33.32 ex VAT
£39.98 inc VAT



162992 :: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 Socket LGA1155 Motherboard (0.5 Kg)


In stock

£91.66 ex VAT
£109.99 inc VAT



Q300796 :: Intel Core i5-2500 Unlocked Dual-Core Socket 1155 Processor (0.5 Kg)


No stock available, product ordered on demand
£154.16 ex VAT
£184.99 inc VAT

That comes to a total of 465 pounds without tax, 559 with tax
I haven't taken into account the case, cooling, cd rom or any wireless adapters or stuff you may want but all the main components are there

this build has a MUCH more powerful CPU, even without overclock it'll probably run better than the i3, (if you wanna OC you may need another cooler) a comparable GPU (you can change it to the 460 if you want) and a great motherboard

you'll get much more out of this guy
i'm only producing this as a general guideline
January 17, 2011 11:06:42 PM

and the kingston ram's 2x2GB, i did it on misco.co.uk
not sure if that website is good or not
January 18, 2011 12:05:36 AM

you still need a hard drive (sorry forgot to mention that)
you can do with a cheaper, less wattage psu
i checked, max you need is 550, even 500 will probably work
you don't need the noctua thermal paste because i believe the stock intel cooler comes with pre applied thermal paste
January 18, 2011 12:39:34 AM

Amazing
Will outperform ur previous build like hell
January 18, 2011 12:45:16 AM

And you got itself the 3rd best CPU on the market right now
January 18, 2011 12:50:11 AM

Cheers for the help and advice :D 

Emailed aria asking what the best price they can do it for and after that its time to ask my wife very, very nicely :ouch: 
January 18, 2011 12:55:33 AM

Good luck mate :)  send aria how much it would cost on another website because these parts are actually so easy to make
A friend working amd told me normally amd and intel sell their dies (CPUs) for 10 times the amount it costed to make
Of course they did put alot of money in on research but still.... 10 times is alot of money
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2011 5:37:27 AM

Einholt said:
I have posted this build over on another techie forum and they came up with a few issues on the build, now I have no idea if what they are telling me is fact or just opinion but here are some qoutes from that thread:


To be blatantly honest, you are probably going to fry that board first. µATX boards are compact in size and usually hold more componentry than their full sized bretheren. Running a heavy OC on that board is going to stress it out. µATX boards that are built for "OCing" is a crock. Twice as much current running through much smaller, compressed traces in a very crowded environment to begin with. µATX boards were originally intended for low power consumption use in smaller, more "friendly" cases.

I have seen many µATX boards of better quality than that MSI, fry from a light overclock because they just can't handle it.

*******************************************

Have to agree there, though I haven't seen the bios options on that board, generally, mATX just don't have the overclocking options that full ATX boards do. If your case and budget allow it, you're always better off with ful ATX for overclocking.

*******************************************

I have to agree with my teamates on this one. Those boards cannot handle the throughput that a Atx board can and while your Cpu may last "20 years", your board will not! The boards chipset is going to run extremly hot on such overclocks

*******************************************

Thinner conductors are nice from a miniaturization standpoint but they do come at a cost -- increased resistance. The resistance of an electrical conductor is inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area and directly proportional to its length. Therefore, all other factors taken into account, shorter and fatter wires are often better.

Resistance also factors into power loss, which is dissipated as heat. Any kid who has shorted a thin wire across the terminals of a battery understands this concept instantly (and often painfully).

********************************************

As I said no idea if these comments are true but one of the guys started by saying the i3 would run to hot and fry,then when I said I had researched and that it would not him and others posted those comments.


I'm sorry I'm replying so late...but I'd have to say that those guys are most likely correct. The question was weather the cooling would suit your parts, and as I said earlier yes it would. Now weather or not you will be able to hit the speeds you want on that mob is a totally different question...and will it fry? maybe...I recently accidentally fried a really nice mobo, the EVGA X58 FTW3...was really sad and mad at myself... :(  and actually it might have been my psu...not clean enough power...I think I had a voltage spike and it killed the mobo...cause I didn't pick up the voltages that high...

Anyway my point is, will the cooling suffice your parts? Yes it will. Will you be able to safely get your parts to the clock speeds you were talking about? idk about that and kinda doubt it...

But in any case I wish you luck, success, and carefulness when ocing those parts...it really does hurt to see your money go down the drain... and I speak from experience...
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2011 9:17:34 AM

Check overclockers.co.uk and ebuyer.com as well last week there was a big difference in price on sandy bridge boards and processors between them (ebuyer was much cheaper for boards but most expensive on CPUs).
January 18, 2011 6:12:31 PM

videl said:
I'm sorry I'm replying so late...but I'd have to say that those guys are most likely correct. The question was weather the cooling would suit your parts, and as I said earlier yes it would. Now weather or not you will be able to hit the speeds you want on that mob is a totally different question...and will it fry? maybe...I recently accidentally fried a really nice mobo, the EVGA X58 FTW3...was really sad and mad at myself... :(  and actually it might have been my psu...not clean enough power...I think I had a voltage spike and it killed the mobo...cause I didn't pick up the voltages that high...

Anyway my point is, will the cooling suffice your parts? Yes it will. Will you be able to safely get your parts to the clock speeds you were talking about? idk about that and kinda doubt it...

But in any case I wish you luck, success, and carefulness when ocing those parts...it really does hurt to see your money go down the drain... and I speak from experience...


I am not overclocking it, it comes as a bundle pre-overclocked and 48 hour stress tested with a 1 year collect and return warranty along with full support.
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2011 3:30:01 PM

Well in that case then you shouldn't worry, if they oc'd it allready and 48 hour tested...then you should be fine taking into account that they give you a 1 year warranty...So I say no worrys there then...
!