Sign in with
Your question

Can't access external HD

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2010 4:58:19 AM

I have a 1 TB Fantom drive. 200 GB remain, so this thing has a few files I'd like to save...

I guess problems seemed to start this summer when one of the movies on it skipped so much while watching it that we gave up (although I've been able to download and watch TV shows flawlessly). Last weekend I decided to put it through a defrag with defraggler that took a good 4 days to complete.

I have Vuze on it and download directly to it because I've had issues with transferring videos and them not working. Now, I went and downloaded a bunch of TV shows from this week that I missed and those came through fine. I go download a couple other files and they stop short of completing with error messages like:
"Error: Disk read error - flush fails, write fails, data error (cyclic redundancy check)".
and
"error: resume data save fails: flush fails, write fails, data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

Vuze help forums said it's not a Vuze problem, but a hardware or software problem. Videos currently on my internal HD do play. On their recommendations, I ran CHKDSK (stopped and quit at 38% with "Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.")
Tried deleting all the files from the incompleted downloads, but some refused to go citing "Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty." This of course drove me to Google and then the acquisition of Ad-Aware and Spyware Terminator. Both ran and deleted stuff.

Now, my external will be recognized, but will not open on 2 different laptops and a linux system. I can try to supply the logs from Ad-Aware and ST if you need.
Really appreciate any help. Thanks.

More about : access external

a b G Storage
November 24, 2010 12:11:30 PM

That drive is failing. Back-up any files you need from it before is too late.
Run CHKDSK /f/r on it. See if it helps.
If not, you could mount it as external and run killdisk, it should restore it to the factory-clean state.
m
l
November 24, 2010 1:27:33 PM

How do I do this? Need step by step. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 24, 2010 2:34:18 PM

After backing up whatever can be saved from the disk, bear in mind that using killdisk will do a low-level format, so all that is on the drive will be erased.
Go to http://www.killdisk.com/ and download version for your OS.
Install killdisk on PC.
Connect the HDD as external drive.
Open Killdisk. It should recognize the drives on that PC, including the external one. Make sure you select that particular drive, not a different one.
Select the drive and erase all data. This should restore the drive to a factory clean state.
After that, exit killdisk, open disk manager and re-initialize the drive in Windows. Then you can re-format it.
If the drive has hardware errors, it may not last too long and no procedure will save it. It is reaching the end of it's life.
m
l
November 24, 2010 2:51:32 PM

Alright, so I still need to find a way to back up the data first. That's actually the priority. The drive can alway be replaced, the files, not so much.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 24, 2010 3:50:58 PM

Did you try to run the chkdsk /f/r ?
m
l
November 24, 2010 3:55:44 PM

Last time I tried, it only made it to 38%. Is there a way to pick which drive it checks?
m
l
a b G Storage
November 24, 2010 4:03:31 PM

run> chkdsk x: /f/r
where x is the drive's letter
m
l
November 25, 2010 1:59:39 PM

tried it a few times. chkdsk window popups up long enough to be regular size and then immediately goes away.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 28, 2010 8:04:31 PM

try opening the command window with the "cmd" command. It should stay opened for you and you can type in there the chkdsk stuff.
If it is the booting disk - the one with the OS - it will ask you if you want to run it at next restart. Type Y - for yes_ then enter and exit the cmd window. Restart the PC.
m
l
March 13, 2012 7:15:43 AM

Due to this reason it is always recommended to download Vuze application before downloading any DVD or HD video or movie. Vuze make the external HD or DVD file compatible to your Windows or Mac operating system.
http://www.downloadvuze.biz
m
l
!