Sims2 Music: Possible to create new stations?

One of the stations that seems to be missing is a Classical station.
Can I create one? If so, how? (Best guess would be to add the folder
in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Music and then dump my classical mp3
files into it. Does this work?)

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
> One of the stations that seems to be missing is a Classical station.
> Can I create one? If so, how? (Best guess would be to add the folder
> in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Music and then dump my classical mp3
> files into it. Does this work?)

Why post and ask us? Try it.

You can't "hurt" anything, and if it doesn't you can just delete your
classical folder.

I doubt it will work, though, because I already tried changing the
"Salsa" folder to "Jazz" (because I dumped most of the salsa and added
my own jazz), but the pie menu still read "salsa." So I don't think you
can affect Sim choices in the game by changing folders in the Music level.

But hey, I could be wrong.

What sort of classical are you going to include? I'd like to see Sims
dance to some gloomy, morose Mahler myself. ;-)

--
--Cuth

Am Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:31:59 GMT schrieb Cuthbert Gurdlestone:

> I doubt it will work, though, because I already tried changing the
> "Salsa" folder to "Jazz" (because I dumped most of the salsa and added
> my own jazz), but the pie menu still read "salsa." So I don't think you
> can affect Sim choices in the game by changing folders in the Music level.

The Techno station in my Sims households play Soundtracks and classical
stuff ;) doesn't matter what the label says, does it?

Dorte

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:

> One of the stations that seems to be missing is a
> Classical station. Can I create one? If so, how? (Best
> guess would be to add the folder in My Documents\EA
> Games\The Sims 2\Music and then dump my classical mp3
> files into it. Does this work?)

No, you must use an existing station. So, take for instance the
Pop station; you copy all your classical MP3's in the folder
named Pop and then in-game, under sound options, you tick off all
the original pop songs. Have the change the change to pop et
voila. Waltzing sims. No, not really.

T.

Cuthbert Gurdlestone <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
>> One of the stations that seems to be missing is a Classical station.
>> Can I create one? If so, how? (Best guess would be to add the folder
>> in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Music and then dump my classical mp3
>> files into it. Does this work?)
>
>Why post and ask us? Try it.
>
>You can't "hurt" anything, and if it doesn't you can just delete your
>classical folder.
>
>I doubt it will work, though, because I already tried changing the
>"Salsa" folder to "Jazz" (because I dumped most of the salsa and added
>my own jazz), but the pie menu still read "salsa." So I don't think you
>can affect Sim choices in the game by changing folders in the Music level.
>
>But hey, I could be wrong.
>
>What sort of classical are you going to include? I'd like to see Sims
>dance to some gloomy, morose Mahler myself. ;-)

It doesn't work; tried it immediately after posting that message.

I hadn't decided completely on the full playlist for that "station", but
I *had* ripped an organ rendition of Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in Dm"
for it, and was going to pull out my disc of Holst's _The_Planets_.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Some classical MP3s seem to cause problems for the game. I added a few to
my build folder and most turn up but some make the game crash. I'm not
really up on the file formats for MP3s but I did wonder whether there are
different standards for them and that the game will only read one type.
Anyway, the other thing is that the pieces I couldn't get were all the
longer ones - like movements from Holst's Planet Suite - so I also wondered
whether the size of the file made any difference. I do, however, have some
Chopin ballads and some fin de siecle French piano music (Debussy and Ravel)
working fine. Makes a nice change from that itty bitty hippy hoppy stuff
that comes with the game. I've been building a fair bit so I've heard the
pieces quite a lot.

Best wishes
Maxon

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:

> It doesn't work; tried it immediately after posting that
> message.

You can't change the existing structure. But you can (still) put
your MP3's in an existing music folder and then, in-game, throw
the original music out. So you won't have a "Classic" station but
you can have a hip hop station with classical music.

T.