Sign in with
Your question

My DVD-ROM can't play a DVD. O_O how ironic

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2010 6:46:57 AM

my DVD-ROM's brand is LG HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4522B... i can see literally that it is a DVD-ROM because its printed at the front. but when i try to put a DVD on it. it will only load the cd, the mouse pointer will have a small icon of a disc with it, but nothing happened after that.

i can't see it either on 'my computer'. but when i put on a CD. it will be read and it will play. how can i fix this prob. :(  :sweat:  :( 
a c 98 G Storage
November 23, 2010 11:46:48 AM

So, it will read CDs but not DVDs, is that what you are saying? If so, the DVD-ROM drive itself is either dirty inside or defective, in all liklihood.

To clean, you can try to blow out anything that might be stuck inside the drive itself with a can of compressed air. You can also try running a CD cleaning disk through the system (buy them at about any electronics/music/Walmart, etc.).

If that fails to resolve the problem, your drive is probably defective and needs to be replaced. Here is a link showing several DVD-ROM drives. They are very inexpensive and easy to replace:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

In case you are wondering why it can read one type of media and not the other, there are 2 lasers (on for CDs and one for DVDs using different laser wavelengths/frequencies) inside the drive itself. One works, the other doesn't. This is the very simple explanation as the technical explanation can quickly get out of hand.

Good luck!
m
l
November 23, 2010 1:27:22 PM

ooh.. icic. thanks for that COLGeek. :)  ill try to buy a cd cleaning disk.
m
l
!