My DVD-ROM can't play a DVD. O_O how ironic

my DVD-ROM's brand is LG HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4522B... i can see literally that it is a DVD-ROM because its printed at the front. but when i try to put a DVD on it. it will only load the cd, the mouse pointer will have a small icon of a disc with it, but nothing happened after that.

i can't see it either on 'my computer'. but when i put on a CD. it will be read and it will play. how can i fix this prob. :( :sweat: :(
2 answers Last reply
More about play o_o ironic
  1. So, it will read CDs but not DVDs, is that what you are saying? If so, the DVD-ROM drive itself is either dirty inside or defective, in all liklihood.

To clean, you can try to blow out anything that might be stuck inside the drive itself with a can of compressed air. You can also try running a CD cleaning disk through the system (buy them at about any electronics/music/Walmart, etc.).

If that fails to resolve the problem, your drive is probably defective and needs to be replaced. Here is a link showing several DVD-ROM drives. They are very inexpensive and easy to replace:

In case you are wondering why it can read one type of media and not the other, there are 2 lasers (on for CDs and one for DVDs using different laser wavelengths/frequencies) inside the drive itself. One works, the other doesn't. This is the very simple explanation as the technical explanation can quickly get out of hand.

Good luck!
  2. ooh.. icic. thanks for that COLGeek. :) ill try to buy a cd cleaning disk.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives DVD CD-Rom Storage Product