Mobo will not post

cuomop

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
i am building my first computer and I cant see to get it to post. Specs are:
ASRock G31M-S LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240 pin
Intel E6300 wolfdale 2.8 duelcore

When i power up, case fans run, heatsink fan runs, but i get not monitor signal or post beep. Any ideas on what to do???

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Disconnect all drives, both power and data cables.

Remove the RAM and re-install, making sure it snaps into place properly.

See if it boots. If not, remove all front case connections, except the power on/off and try again.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
At this point, I would try building the basic components up outside of the case, to see if there's a short of the motherboard against the case. Pull the motherboard and the power supply from the case. Do not connect any drives but plug in the monitor.

You can power up the system by very carefully shorting the ON/OFF pins that run to the front switch after the power supply switch is turned on.

If this doesn't work, you need to carefully check the CPU to make sure you didn't install it incorrectly. If all is well there, then it's time to decide which components to return.

Basically, set it up like the system in this photo:
xfxtestbench.jpg

cuomop

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
i am getting nothing still after all the help guys, so i guess something isnt working correctly, from what i have determined byu reading other threads it most likely is either the mobo or the RAM that is bad causing a no post/no beeps etc. which do i rma first??? the mobo or RAM? i would test the ram but i dont have any other desktop to try it with

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
One thing, try a single RAM module at a time. If one of them is bad, this will isolate it.

If the system won't boot with either of the one modules, I'd guess it's the motherboard that is bad. But hard to prove without being able to swap out parts to test them. The thinking is that it's very unlikely that BOTH RAM modules are bad.

I'm assuming you removed everything from case and tried it as above.

cuomop

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
removed everything from case and still nothing, even tried both RAM and then single and still nothing, looks like i just got a bad board, whats possibility of CPU being dead? or will i still get some post screen?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If any of the 3 is no good, you'll get nothing.

CPU I would suspect only after motherboard. Assuming it's not damaged and installed correctly first time.