Sign in with
Your question

Are Samsung Hard Drives Any Good?

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2010 1:29:38 PM

Over the years I have had numerous hard drives and my personal experience tells me that Western Digital is the worst brand for hard drives. I can't believe how many times I had Western Digital and they all dead sooner or later. Western Digital is definitely not the hard drive brand that I will ever buy again.

Hitachi is better than Western Digital but the best drives I had are Seagate hard drives. Seagate drives are tough and reliable, I have one for years of bittorrent downloads and it never failed.

So I was planning to buy a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB, mainly for bittorrent downloads and storage purpose, however, there were lots of negative reviews on newegg about this drive dead within a year so I am a little concerned.

So I am looking at alternatives and Samsung seems like a very reliable brand, but I am not sure if Samsung Spinpoint F3 and F4 are any good? How are they compared to Seagate Barracuda?
a b G Storage
November 23, 2010 2:03:06 PM

You seem to contradict what most people in this forum would adhere to. For most of us WD is the one and only choice for an HDD. For me it is the best HDD manufacturer around.

I would say it all a case of bad luck for you.

But anyways, since you say that you are not willing to go for it, no point arguing, Samsung and Hitachi are good brands of HDD and only would come second after WD. Seagate with their constant firmware issues have left a bad taste in every users mouth, especially the one you selected, the 7200.11 drive.

I would say WD Caviar Green or Samsung SpinPoint F4 (it is the latest one which came out after F3 and is good).
m
l
December 26, 2010 4:31:19 AM

dexter - just wanted to say that I see that I'm not the only unlucky one when it comes to WD hard drives. I have had every one I bought go bad on me within three years or less. Granted, this was awhile ago, since I have stayed away from WD since the mid 2000s or so. I have been a faithful Seagate customer since, and I am have been looking into getting a 1tb Hard Drive, but was disappointed when I saw many negative reviews about Seagate's latest drives. I can't quite bring myself to buy a Western Digital, despite so many people raving about them, they have just burnt me so bad. I think I'll try the Samsung...
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2011 6:34:28 PM

Agree that .Western Digital is the worst brand for hard drives! My new Dell laptop WD HD failed after purchase 3 months.
m
l
May 19, 2011 6:40:39 PM

Even though WD drives are so highly regarded.... I don't think I would buy another one. Two separate occassions I have had them fail on me.

Seagate 7200.12 Drives and of course the popular Samsung Spinpoints are very good choices. Personally I have 2 x Seagate 7200.12 2 TB's in my main PC for backup date and they have lasted very long with no problems. As well in my storage PC I have about 6 of the Spinpoints and never had a problem.
m
l
July 13, 2011 3:24:37 AM

My CPU is about 5 months old and has a Samsung spinpoint F4 HDD. recently the CXPu has been failing and it laggs like Hell!!..
DO NOt get a samsung HDD
m
l
July 13, 2011 3:25:32 AM

My CPU is about 5 months old and has a Samsung spinpoint F4 HDD. recently the CPU has been failing and it laggs like Hell!!..
DO NOt get a samsung HDD
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 6, 2012 3:31:14 PM

Quote:
My CPU is about 5 months old and has a Samsung spinpoint F4 HDD. recently the CPU has been failing and it laggs like Hell!!.. DO NOt get a samsung HDD

Are you on drugs? The CPU has been failing and it lags? The CPU has nothing to do with the HDD you stupid retard!
m
l
!