Apr 16, 2009
I just purchased the following from Newegg:

ASUS PQ5SE Plus
BFG 9800GTX+
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Old system parts reused:
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz
PSU Raidmax Volcano 630Watt

I put the system together and fired up Windows XP Pro (I removed the old video card drivers, BFG 7200)
To my surprise Windows came up and I was able to get all the motherboard driver issues squared away.

Time to load video drivers, I put in the CD that came with the card and ran the setup, drivers installed and rebooted.
I get into windows and the video actually looks worse.
Windows trys to automatically adjust but dumps into 640X480.

I removed the drivers and rebooted, Windows loads with generic VGA and I go to Nvidia's website and download the latest drivers and go through the setup and reboot, same scenario. This time instead of removing the drivers I reboot and Windows begins to load, then I get no signal displayed on the monitor but I can hear the hard drive loading and then I get the Windows bootup music. Still no video.

Time to call BFG support, I run through the scenario and they give me 3 options, update the MB bios, new PSU, reinstall windows.

I take option 1 and get the new bios from Asus date 3/10/09 and load it up. Same scenario - no video when drivers are loaded.

Time to make a clean Windows install. Same scenario, almost. After a reboot I get 1 long 3 short beeps, no video detected.

Time for a new PSU, Corsair 750TX still not getting any video at bootup beeps or Windows drivers fail.

I begin to suspect that the Video card is bad so I borrow a PCIe card from a friend and it never gives any video or beeps. We try another PCIe, not sure of the models, they are Nvidia chipset PCIe 1.1 cards that do work in his system. (I am beginning to think that this motherboard will not drive a PCIe 1.1 card from some of the googling I have done.)

The next test would be trying the video card in a different system but as it stands right now I have none avaialble. (All of my old stuff is AGP - /shakes fist at changing techology)

Any thoughts?

kgb10101

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I have now tried the card in 3 systems with similar results, the card is headed back to Newegg. The ASUS MB is going back as well, as most of the time now it does not see any video cards in the PCIe slot.