Sign in with
Your question

HD is not recognized by Win7 but it's recognized by XP.

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2010 2:00:22 PM

Hi all. I'm having a problem with this Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Disk.

I can install Windows XP with no problems. But when i try to boot with Windows 7 it's doesn't recognize the disk as a capable install device.

By the way, if i select the option to find drivers....i can see that the disk is appearing like a "pen drive" o "dvd drive", etc. So Windows 7 recognize the HD but not for installing into it.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78-EM Lastest BIOS; Default settings.
---
The computer isn't mine, Is my brother's computer. And all started with some Blue Screens (BSOD) after a manually bad restart (turning off the pc) in Windows 7.

Before all this problem. I tried WD booting tool, Quick test was failing then i tried Full media scan to repair de disk, and now is working fine..."except from this problem that i have". Also i tried full zero write in that tool. And used HD regenerator with no problems or bad sectors found.

Disk doesn't have S.M.A.R.T. errors either.
November 23, 2010 4:00:56 PM

Hello again. i fixed the problem..

It was the DVD Drive...i changed from a Pioneer IDE DVD Drive to a Pioneer Sata DVD Drive and worked nice!

The Pioneer DVD Drive was set as "Slave" not "Master" maybe that was the problem....But iit was the only IDE thing connected.

And for the old BSODs i think i solved it with the WD tool doing the "Full Media Scan" and the "Write Zero test", after that quick test finished without problems, before that with errors.

Thanks for your answer.
m
l
!