Sign in with
Your question

ATI Testing: Compatibility?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2009 10:39:52 AM

If Intels are for performance and AMDs are for bang-for-the-buck, is it true that NVIDIAs are pricey compatibility while ATIs are budget performance?

The point is, how do I best determine if a game is compatible with an ATI card? I know many games usually have compatibility lists, but that's not always the case.
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2009 11:03:39 AM

All games are compatible with ATI cards. You need to make sure you have a good enough card (ie, newer in most cases) to play the newest games, but whether it's ATI or Nvidia doesn't matter in terms of being compatible.
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 8, 2009 11:44:40 AM

Some games suite the way ATI cards work better than Nvidia cards and vice versa but its not a deal breaker in terms of X game works so much better on an ATI card so if i want to play it i must have an ATI card. That just isnt the case.
A while ago there were some games that came close to that extreme but honestly as jennyh says all the cards will play the games some will be slightly faster but you get what you pay for.

Mactronix
Related resources
May 11, 2009 3:59:04 AM

Also, I think the trend is towards unified compatibility for some reason. Many of those X58 motherboards, designed for the Intel Core i7 CPU, support both SLI and CrossFire.
May 11, 2009 7:28:29 PM

jennyh said:
All games are compatible with ATI cards. You need to make sure you have a good enough card (ie, newer in most cases) to play the newest games, but whether it's ATI or Nvidia doesn't matter in terms of being compatible.

Not quite true, whilst most directx games are "compatible" (just some games having driver issues like some have nvidia driver issues at times) ATI has some issues with openGL...
!