What is a good "Work Now, Play Later" system?

Idle

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I will be building a system from scratch within a month or two. I don't know much about the hardware of this generation so I've been reading all sorts of guides and reviews but I'm still a bit confused.

I intend to use the system to host multiple VMs, to encode video/audio, and some video editing at first. Toward the end of this year, I'd like to beef it up and use it as a gaming system as well. I want at least 1080p, but perhaps I can get away with onboard video until then?

I need a starting point. I know that I should get lots of RAM for this system, but what CPU? Would an i7 benefit me a lot for virtualization and encoding?

In regard to gaming, what is a good size for a 1920x1080 native resolution? I'm guessing 24" is ideal.

Also, are there any recommendations for good all-around mice, keyboards and speakers?

For your usage an i7 , with a 6 gb triple channel RAM kit would be a good place to start .

traditional 24 inch widescreens are 1920 x 1200 pixels and I prefer that to a 1080p resolution . Who cares if theres a black band top and bottom when you watch a movie . The extra height is more useful all the rest of the time , and the aspect ratio is more app friendly IMO

Not for VM's (Virtual Machines). You can assign a set amount of RAM to each VM. You could run 3 VM's with 4GB assigned to each one with 12GB of RAM. You'd run out RAM in a hurry if you were trying to run multiple VM's on a machine with only 6GB of RAM.

Idle

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

I'd say about 3-4 VMs. I guess I can get away with 6 GB then.

In regard to the budget, I can spend up to $2000 CAN or so. Of course, if I can get away with getting a mobo with onboard video till the end of the year I'd like to.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

Thanks shortstuff_mt, i was sorta confused.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

Unfortunately the x58 chipset for i7 doesn't have onboard video. You will need to buy a discrete GPU if you go the i7 route (which you should). But all you really need is a cheap GPU, something like a 8400GS would be fine.

I would go with 12gb of ram.

What's your budget and what country are you in ?

dudqls623

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

well.. he kinda wrote
$2000
but maybe Idle had a change of mind
he kinda wrote
canadian
but maybe he just wants to know it in canadian currency but he lives somewhere else
iunno

:)

Ok smart arse, I missed that post. :p

on a side not, I hate doing Canadian builds...they always get hit with those big time shipping cost and taxes so you never know what the actual cost is in the end. But...I'm bored and still unemployed....