Sign in with
Your question

PCI to PCI-E Adapter?

Last response: in Components
July 21, 2009 8:22:31 AM

On my current system, I have a GTX 275 which takes up one pci slot. The other pci slot is for my network card. I just purchased a PCI sound card and completely forgot that I don't have anyplace to put it. Does a PCI to PCI-E adapter exist? Or, if I have to, is there any good PCI-E wireless cards out there? Mine kinda sucks anyways and was really cheap.

BTW, it has to be a wireless card unfortunately.

More about : pci pci adapter

July 21, 2009 8:28:45 AM

What about a Wireless Network USB stick?
July 21, 2009 8:32:20 AM

AKM880 said:
What about a Wireless Network USB stick?

Ahh, I didnt' even know those existed, I guess i have to get with the times. I'll take a look. Thanks!
Related resources
July 21, 2009 8:45:20 AM

Would you reccomend a PCI-E wireless card with the 2 ft wire and small plastic antenna base over any usb dongle with/without an antenna?
July 21, 2009 9:25:53 AM

Does a PCI to PCI-E adapter exist?

I lol'd :) 

Simple answer no, no they don't.

So if you don't have a spare slot it's USB time for you.
Whichever brand you go for I would recommend only installing the driver and then using windows to control the actual network access.
July 21, 2009 10:26:47 AM

Your post is a bit confusing, I'm assuming you mean that you have your GPU in your PCI-e port, your network card in a normal PCI port and that you currently have one free PCI-e port but no PCI port for your sound card?

I'm then also assuming that you are really looking for a PCI-e to PCI adapter?

If that is the case, yes there are:

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-express-to-pci-adapter...

It would probably be a better (and cheaper) solution to do as the people above suggests and get either an USB stick or as you said yourself, a PCI-e network card.

Neither are hard to find and as long as you stick to a decent brand, it won't really matter much what you get.
July 21, 2009 11:20:58 AM

Why do you need a sound card?

with current onboard sound being so good, you only need a sound card if you're a serious audiophile or have a 7.1 stereo setup.

Also if you had planned to get the two extra cards, the ASUS P6T would have been a better mobo to go with.
July 21, 2009 2:58:57 PM

Sorry if my post was confusing. My board comes with 3 PCI Express slots and two pci slots. Both pci slots are each under a PCI Express slot so if I use that PCI Express port, it renders the pci slot below it useless as its covered by the graphics card. I just bought a pair of HD595 Senns so I wanted to get a new siund car to get the best out of them. The onboard tends to buzz a lot too. I guess I'll go with the USB network adapter, the rosewill is only $20 at newegg and got great reviews. Thanks for all your help everybody!
July 21, 2009 9:19:27 PM

Bah, thought he ment it as he wrote it ;) 
July 21, 2009 9:42:06 PM

No I did mean it as I wrote it and was aware that the pci express to pci adapter did exist. Seeing that network cards don't use much bandwidth, I thought it might be possible to convert a pci to pci express. I'll just have to go with a good usb dongle.
July 21, 2009 11:07:51 PM

t33lo said:
No I did mean it as I wrote it and was aware that the pci express to pci adapter did exist.

Well then I owe plasmastorm an apology, and am even more confused than I thought he might have been.
July 21, 2009 11:12:05 PM

delluser1 said:
Well then I owe plasmastorm an apology, and am even more confused than I thought he might have been.

Wait, are you still confused? Since network cards don't require as much bandwidth as say a graphics card, I thought it might be possible to turn a PCI network card and convert it to PCI-E. I've seen PCI-E network cards online, so I thought it might have been possible. Hope that might clear things up.
July 22, 2009 12:27:56 AM

t33lo said:
I thought it might be possible to turn a PCI network card and convert it to PCI-E.

The link I provided in my first response is a PCI-E to PCI adapter, it will allow you to run a PCI card on a PCI-E slot.
July 22, 2009 12:33:24 AM

delluser1 said:
The link I provided in my first response is a PCI-E to PCI adapter, it will allow you to run a PCI card on a PCI-E slot.

I wasn't able to see it earlier since I was on my phone but it looked like you found the adapter I was looking for. The only problem is that its $50, probably more beneficial to go with the USB dongle. Thanks for finding that though.
July 22, 2009 12:36:42 AM

t33lo said:
probably more beneficial to go with the USB dongle.

Less expensive yes, if you're gaming online it won't be a help.
July 22, 2009 2:41:10 AM

delluser1 said:
Less expensive yes, if you're gaming online it won't be a help.

I think with gaming, the big problem is that a lot of people install bad drivers and don't disable zero wireless configuration tool. That being said, my router is about 30 feet away in a room downstairs. I get a solid 54MBPS at 4/5 bars all the time. Do you think it will be much worst to go with the usb dongle?
July 22, 2009 11:09:24 AM

I've tried gaming (BF2) with a Netgear USB wireless dongle, Linksys PCI wireless card and a Netgear PCI wireless card. With no good gaming results from any of them, they now sit in a drawer.
The system in question is less than 15 feet from the router ( currently a Netgear that replaced a Linksys in the hope that it may have been the problem ).
Personally, I get confused as hell when trying to set this stuff up, but my brother-in-law has been in the business for 22 years so I have him do it for me.
July 25, 2009 12:42:26 AM

delluser1 said:
I've tried gaming (BF2) with a Netgear USB wireless dongle, Linksys PCI wireless card and a Netgear PCI wireless card. With no good gaming results from any of them, they now sit in a drawer.
The system in question is less than 15 feet from the router ( currently a Netgear that replaced a Linksys in the hope that it may have been the problem ).
Personally, I get confused as hell when trying to set this stuff up, but my brother-in-law has been in the business for 22 years so I have him do it for me.

I just bought the Rosewill RNX-G1W IEEE 802.11b/g USB dongle and I must say, this thing is better than the previous PCI network card I had in here before. I get more bars and no hiccups whatsoever. Connects immediately upon loading windows wheras my pci card would take 10-15 seconds. Tried out some gaming and not one stutter or lost packet. Highly recommended for any wireless gaming.
July 25, 2009 1:15:01 AM

Damn that's huge, at that price I might give it a try though.
I had the same issue with my previous adapters taking thier time connecting.
July 25, 2009 1:20:14 AM

delluser1 said:
Damn that's huge, at that price I might give it a try though.
I had the same issue with my previous adapters taking thier time connecting.

With all wireless cards and gaming, you must disable"Zero Wireless configuration Tool". After your comp starts up and finds the wireless connection. Have you tried that with your current cards?
July 25, 2009 11:01:54 AM

Taking it to PM t33lo
July 2, 2012 8:00:22 PM

t33lo said:
On my current system, I have a GTX 275 which takes up one pci slot. The other pci slot is for my network card. I just purchased a PCI sound card and completely forgot that I don't have anyplace to put it. Does a PCI to PCI-E adapter exist? Or, if I have to, is there any good PCI-E wireless cards out there? Mine kinda sucks anyways and was really cheap.

You can get a pci to pci e x1 adapter,
Then a pci e x1 to pci e x16 adapter, and plug them into each other.
Thiss will be pretty laggy, but if you are willing to put your hands up,
search google shoping and you will find plenty of results.
December 4, 2012 10:15:13 AM

t33lo said:

I have actually seen a PCI to PCIe x16 adapter.

Take this one for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-32-Bit-to-a-PCIE-PCI-E-Expr...

Still, in the long run, the usb wifi card would be cheaper.
!