Which is better? Q6600 or E8400 CPU?

napski

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hi everyone!

I currently have a Q6600 2.4GHZ processor in my Dell Dimension with 4 GB RAM on Vista Home Edition with a Geforce GTS 512 video card.

It's been pretty good to me, but I came across a good deal with a Dell with a E8400 Dual Core with 3.0GHZ, 6M and 1333FSB.

Now I typically watch movies on there, play a few games here and there (nothing serious...yet, that is :) ), I would like to work on graphics, video and website stuff soon.

So which would be the best one to use? Should I keep what I have or go with the E8400?

Also, if I keep the q6600, I think I'd like to change the motherboard soon...any recommendations?

Thanks everyone!

:bounce: Napski

I agree with the first commentor: why? The E8400 is an easy cheap overclocker (if you know what you are doing) if you are a system builder. I have one running at 4.4GHz. However, since you are running things in an OEM box (Dell) stock speed, save your money and don't upgrade anything until you are ready to learn how to overclock, which would require a new motherboard, fan/heatsink, and possibly power supply and better memory than that crap Dell sticks in there. Oh, and FYI, graphics and video encoding do much better on quads than even higher clocked C2Ds. But if you mostly game, you'd be better off with a higher clocked Core 2 since they reach higher overclock speeds than quads generally.