Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pressure on heatsink from cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 13, 2011 3:05:36 PM

Does anyone know an approximate pressure exerted on a CPU from a cooler? or perhaps the pressure that would crap a cpu casing?

I'm not mechanically inclined but I have some stuff that becomes quite a bit better than thermal grease above 35 PSI. I dont really know how much that is.
I looked up the tightening torque on an M8 steel screw and it was 5000 PSI... which I assume means 35 PSI is low but i really have no idea.

For curiousity the stuff is an Indium spring form.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2011 6:38:52 AM

I have no idea on pressure measurement of the heatsink on the cpu but i know for a fact that excess pressure crates problems for the mobo... i had scrapped a couple of boards due to this... the idea of applying ideal pressure is to turn the screw gently on the heatsink to the backplate till it stops rotating... don't screw more like how it is done to a car wheel nut when changing tyres...
m
l

Best solution

a c 107 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2011 3:56:52 PM

The Intel Core2 Extreme Processor QX9775A Thermal and Mechanical Design Guidelines Addendum, February 2008 states the following:

The attach mechanism for the heatsink developed to support the processor should create a static preload on the package between 18 lbf and 70 lbf throughout the life of the product.

35 lbs would be low.

Over 60 lbs gives diminishing thermal performance gains.

So anywhere between 45 lbs and 60 lbs would be ideal.

Why would you even be considering this indium heat-spring TIM for CPU use? There's better compounds available.
Related resources
February 7, 2011 3:40:25 PM

Im quite sure the spring foam bests all compounds when under enough pressure.
Either way i have stopped playing around with my computer for now. :) 
m
l
February 7, 2011 3:40:38 PM

Best answer selected by chico1st.
m
l
!