bsulli4

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
The problem:
With only my PSU, mobo, and CPU hooked up (removed from case on a cardboard surface) - when i press the power button, the fans give a twitch (almost a full spin) and nothing else happens. No movement, no speaker beeps, nothing.

When I remove the CPU, and turn the system on, all fans spin and continue to spin and it seems as if the computer wants to try and start up.

Troubleshooting process:
I tried a different PSU (knowingly functional) and the same thing happens.
I tried a different CPU (knowingly functional) and the same thing happens.
My assumption is the mobo has gone bad.
Any thoughts?

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer with as much detail as possible.
Thanks you guys!

Specs:
MSI Neo 875P
P4 2.4Ghz, FSB 800Mhz
Enermax 430W

Solution
Well, First sorry to hear your having trouble.

Now as far as your next step though... How long is the warrenty good for your board? Unfortunately this is pretty much where you are left at :(

As for what could have caused the problem though. It really good be just about anything. Since you just moved to a new place it could be a big part of it. Have you have any Electrical surges or brownout that you have noticed? Have you came home to find all your clocks flashing? it could have been just the mobo's time as well. I have had a Gigabyte mobo that I used for about 3 years when it went poof after a small power surge. Are any of the capsitors blown looking? any small discoloration on the PCB of the Mobo?

You have done the proper...
Do you have ram installed at this point- When you have the cpu installed? Does the same thing happen in a chassis? Did this problem just show up, or are these spare parts you received and don't now if functional?
sorry, I have more questions than answers right now. Could you provide more info?

bsulli4

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Yes they are.

Whether RAM is installed or not does not change the outcome of these tests.

Exact same things happen in a case and out of one, so I know that the grounding issues most folks have are not applicable here.

The parts are not new, all the same for the past 3 years. I did recently move, but the PC was functioning fine for over a week before the issues started.

I picture a "chain of command" when the boot up of a computer starts. First, the electricity runs thru the PSU into the motherboard. Then the CPU starts barking out orders and all the little parts start communicating with onew another to get the computer up and running to post.
Something is going on in the interaction between the mobo and CPU. When the CPU is gone, the fans run fine and the mobo is probably wondering where the CPU is at. But when the CPU is inserted, a problem occurs and nothing works. But I've tried an alternate CPU and the same thing happened.

bsulli4

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Update:

So the ICH5 chip is burned.

Was doing my normal procedure again to see if anything changed. After powering on with the CPU removed, about 2 or 3 seconds of the fans spinning, the southbridge chip popped and fizzled and smoked.

What now?

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Well, First sorry to hear your having trouble.

Now as far as your next step though... How long is the warrenty good for your board? Unfortunately this is pretty much where you are left at :(

As for what could have caused the problem though. It really good be just about anything. Since you just moved to a new place it could be a big part of it. Have you have any Electrical surges or brownout that you have noticed? Have you came home to find all your clocks flashing? it could have been just the mobo's time as well. I have had a Gigabyte mobo that I used for about 3 years when it went poof after a small power surge. Are any of the capsitors blown looking? any small discoloration on the PCB of the Mobo?

You have done the proper checks from what I have read and I just think you may have to pony up for a new mobo. :??:

Solution