What will erasing my HDD do for me?

paidbyhalf13

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Wanted a reliable input on how i go about really making sure my hard drive can be erased/reformatted back to a worry-free factory-type condition where i know i have a fresh start. I am going to be upgrading XP to windows 7 soon but i also dont want any viruses in my hard drive after the install. i do sophos rootkit and Avira virus scans. and they have caught a trojan before and quarantined it. Now i'm concern there might be something hidden in my registries and want to know if i should just overwrite my hard drive with software like "Active kill disk hard drive eraser" or can reformatting/clean install to windows 7 be good enough? Thank you. I'll take all advice coming my way =)

Solution
running ccleaner and using its drive wipe tool, after also doing a full erase - then doing a full format should do the trick if your super anal retentive about it,

but a simple format upon installing windows is fine for the masses...

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
running ccleaner and using its drive wipe tool, after also doing a full erase - then doing a full format should do the trick if your super anal retentive about it,

but a simple format upon installing windows is fine for the masses...

Solution