Windows won't install

squintz305

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
So I put this thread in Windows XP, but it can apply to Windows 7 as well. Basically the issue that I am having is this: I reformatted my hard drive a little while ago (do this periodically to keep things running fresh, etc). I figured I would switch it up a little and use Ubuntu 11.04 (I have a little experience with different linux OS's and wanted to get back into learning more about them, etc). Ubuntu installed with no problems, and when I installed it I set aside a 100gb partition for windows (so I could dual boot and play CS:S). When it came time to install windows however, I booted from the Windows 7 CD I have. I got past the disk/partition selector, and the installation gets past the "copying windows files" section, but the furthest I've gotten was it hanging at 0% on the "expanding windows files" section. I thought that maybe the disc was scratched or something so I copied it, made a new one, etc, etc, same thing (sometimes it restarts before it even gets to the installer).

I tried installing XP also, tried different discs just like windows 7, and it restarts during the install process. The furthest I've gotten was that it copied all of the files to the hard drive, and it would start the installation from the copied files, but then it would re-start.

I installed a different hard drive that I had laying around, and tried the installation again keeping the drive as one partition, but the same thing happened. The system I am using is a Samsung R580 laptop. I read online that people suggested to take out extra hardware you don't need for the install process, but this being a laptop I can't really do that. I tried the installs again using only one of the sticks of ram, and then again with the other installed in case there was an issue with one of them, but to no avail. I checked my bios for things that might cause this but came up with nothing.

This has me stumped, especially because Ubuntu will install fine with no problems, and runs fine, and because I've tried multiple versions and discs of windows, and still nothing.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Considered installing Windows First , then Linux?