miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
hi i want to buy a new pc and i am thinking on ssd i want a 60-64gb one just for windows and important stuff , i like 2 so far the ocz vertex 2 60gb and the crucial real ssd c300 64gb
the vertex has 285mb/s read 275write and the crucial 355 mb/s read 75 mb/s write this is what lets me thinking 75mb/s write is a slow for a ssd but most of the time it will be just read cause is a small ssd just for windows , the read is awesome and the motherboard has sata 6 so i can use it
what do you think ? i better get the vertex or the crucial ? will write affects overall performance if i am gaming for example ?

also i read some comments about installing windows on a ssd i thought it was the same as on a hd but some pepole told you have to change something on the bios what is this is it true?
thanks

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
hey man, I, personally, would grab the crucial... if you're using it for an OS and a couple programs then it'll be SUPER FAST. Besides, you're not going to be using it for much but reading anyway.

sub mesa

Distinguished
You shouldn't look too much at the rated sequential speeds. SSDs are hundred-thousands of times faster in random IOps, but only twice as fast in sequential transfers; and sometimes even slower when writing large files. So the sequential speeds play almost no part in ACTUAL performance gains over HDDs. If you want to compare performance, compare in IOps:

Good SSD: 50.000 IOps
5400rpm HDD: 60 IOps
10.000rpm HDD: 111 IOps

That is the massive speed difference that SSDs cause, and sequential speeds have little to do with it.

Besides... the specced 255MB/s write speed of Vertex 2 is fake though; only achieved when writing zeroes, the compression algorithm would increate the REAL 100MB/s write speeds to anything the interface is capable of, unless you write real data that cannot be compressed.

The result is that benchmarks like ATTO give you meaningless high sequential write scores, while AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark don't allow themselves to be fooled and give you the real write speeds of your SSD.

Sandforce controller in Vertex 2 does compression, while Micron C300 controller in the Crucial C300 wouldn't.

This is a bad time to be buying an SSD though. The worst time actually; massive price cuts are just months away, as are the new third generation SSDs.

My advice is to wait with SSDs until at least February. You'll get both more storage space and better/faster/safer controller with supercapacitor. If you can't wait, i would buy a 40/50GB SSD instead for now; buying a large and expensive SSD now is a waste of money IMO.

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

ok pretty good info thanks i am actually building the system know i wish i could have it for chirstmas or so but i don´t know if i should wait cause im really intrested on the amd bulldozer but i think this new processors will be too expensive as well the motherboards that support them so i don´t know XD

if i but the system this year will be something similar to this

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA
Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 500gb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express Wireless Adapter
HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W ATX12V v2.2 /
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Xigmanteck dark knight
crucial real ssd 64gb
all for $1000 +/-

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I like your build. Why not use the spinpoint f3 for a boot disk until early next year? It's a great drive (for a spinner).

May I also suggest more ram? There's a great article that just came out on Toms regarding RAM in different windows environments. It's cheap and actually has quite an effect depending what you're doing but even the video card will run better with more ram available to it. Also, the 6870 graphics card would be my choice as it is roughly the equivalent of the 5850 (nice switcheroo for the ATI card naming system). Save $200 on the ssd, spend it on upgrades and, in the new year, tag a larger, faster, cheaper, SSD. edit.... AND SAFER (ie writes are protected during power failure)

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
yeah i like your though is a pretty good idea , the ssd is 135 actually is not too bad but i can get a 6870 instead XD i was olso planing on doing crossfire with the 6850 in the future i don´t know what to do know XD i will look for the ram article you mention i think 4gb of ram are good enough and these are 1600mhz and 8 on latency i can try 6gb instead if 4 seem to be not enough