Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Multiple processors on a single Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 5, 2009 1:59:24 AM

im not expert at building PCs so forgive me for the possibly stupid question

i heard some time ago, before AMD released a quad core processor they got around this by releasing a motherboard which could hold 2 processors at once. ie 2 X dual core processors in essance making it a quad core.

now what i would like to know is are there any motherboards out there that could hold 2 (or more) AMD quad cores.

and before someone says it YES i do need that much power it would save me a fortune in render times for my work (CGI Artist :)  )


thanks all
October 5, 2009 2:05:07 AM

I'm not sure about AMD offerings but you have to purchase server chips

you would be looking at a server/workstation motherboard
and 2 xeon chips for an intel offering.
normally they support upto 24gig or so of ECC memory also.

if you dont have a budget go intel.

I'm sure someone will chime in with AMD's offering(s) soon
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 2:22:45 AM

Dual processors were not uncommon a few years ago, not much need for them anymore, in the desktop arena anyway. Servers can and do run multiple processors.
Here for instance is a board that supports 4 six core Opterons, for a total of 24 processor cores.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 2:52:16 AM

For normal consumer/gaming PCs they are not common (if any, since most games/programs don't have use for them) though once you jump into the server area tons do. Though prices jump quite a bit as well.
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 5:34:21 AM

dave_c said:
now what i would like to know is are there any motherboards out there that could hold 2 (or more) AMD quad cores.
Keep in mind that it's not just the motherboard - the CPU itself also has to support multiple chips in the system. For example, AMD's Opteron CPUs include multiprocessor support. In the Intel world only certain Xeon models support multiprocessing.
October 5, 2009 6:45:53 AM

jitpublisher said:
Dual processors were not uncommon a few years ago, not much need for them anymore, in the desktop arena anyway. Servers can and do run multiple processors.
Here for instance is a board that supports 4 six core Opterons, for a total of 24 processor cores.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


$850 for a motherboard, and it has only two USB 2.0 ports!? This board has four USB ports, which is twice as many as that other piece of crap, and it only costs $42. Am I missing something here?







I kid, I kid...
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 11:47:28 AM

You had me confused there for a second angry_ducky, when I first read your post I missed the 'I kid' part :lol: 
October 6, 2009 3:10:03 AM

EXT64 said:
You had me confused there for a second angry_ducky, when I first read your post I missed the 'I kid' part :lol: 


Everybody plays the fool... ♫♫♫♫ It's no exception to the rule... ♫♫♫♫

-Bob Marley

I just wanted to play the naïve card for a second there...
October 7, 2009 6:28:00 AM

for amd opteron

1xxx series 1 opteron
2xxx series 2 opteron (you can get a opteron-quad barcelona for 150 $)
8xxx series 8 opteron (but this is not cheeper)

I have a Asus kfn5-d (atx format) with two opteron 2212 with a SLI.
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2009 3:12:16 PM

angry_ducky said:
$850 for a motherboard, and it has only two USB 2.0 ports!? This board has four USB ports, which is twice as many as that other piece of crap, and it only costs $42. Am I missing something here?







I kid, I kid...


That's only $10.50 per port! What a deal!
October 8, 2009 11:15:37 PM

Such multisocket boards used to be servers few years ago, meaning that they didn't even have a slot for a graphics card - only the graphics processor integrated in the Northbridge could be used.

Has this improved?

Also, check that your OS licence allows multiple sockets. This may become an expensive game.
!