Multiple processors on a single Motherboard

dave_c

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
im not expert at building PCs so forgive me for the possibly stupid question

i heard some time ago, before AMD released a quad core processor they got around this by releasing a motherboard which could hold 2 processors at once. ie 2 X dual core processors in essance making it a quad core.

now what i would like to know is are there any motherboards out there that could hold 2 (or more) AMD quad cores.

and before someone says it YES i do need that much power it would save me a fortune in render times for my work (CGI Artist :) )

thanks all

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I'm not sure about AMD offerings but you have to purchase server chips

you would be looking at a server/workstation motherboard
and 2 xeon chips for an intel offering.
normally they support upto 24gig or so of ECC memory also.

if you dont have a budget go intel.

I'm sure someone will chime in with AMD's offering(s) soon

For normal consumer/gaming PCs they are not common (if any, since most games/programs don't have use for them) though once you jump into the server area tons do. Though prices jump quite a bit as well.

Keep in mind that it's not just the motherboard - the CPU itself also has to support multiple chips in the system. For example, AMD's Opteron CPUs include multiprocessor support. In the Intel world only certain Xeon models support multiprocessing.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

$850 for a motherboard, and it has only two USB 2.0 ports!? This board has four USB ports, which is twice as many as that other piece of crap, and it only costs $42. Am I missing something here?

I kid, I kid...

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Everybody plays the fool... ♫♫♫♫ It's no exception to the rule... ♫♫♫♫

-Bob Marley

I just wanted to play the naïve card for a second there...

ccrafael

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
for amd opteron

1xxx series 1 opteron
2xxx series 2 opteron (you can get a opteron-quad barcelona for 150 $)
8xxx series 8 opteron (but this is not cheeper)

I have a Asus kfn5-d (atx format) with two opteron 2212 with a SLI.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Such multisocket boards used to be servers few years ago, meaning that they didn't even have a slot for a graphics card - only the graphics processor integrated in the Northbridge could be used.

Has this improved?

Also, check that your OS licence allows multiple sockets. This may become an expensive game.