Should i buy these?

Lutfij

Titan
Hey there everyone!

Need your expert opinion on this matter -
on Rig 2: (in member configuration)
I run programs such as AutoCAD 2010, Photoshop CS4, Maya 2010 all running on windows7 x64. I also game alot and am an audiophile - I also have an ever increasing number of downloadable content onto my drives.

Currently I have 1 Samsung 500GB HDD which houses all my programs, backup and music/movie collection.

I'm looking to expand my storage needs and was thinking of getting a pair of Seagate Barracuda ES.2 500GB drives - pardon me folks - I live in Bangladesh and this is the only enterprise drive I can get a hold of, and by that this is the only highend drive available. Another drive available now is the HD154UI 1.5TB samsung.

which way do I go?

I need to secure my downloads, music and windows backups. But also want a fast boot drive - thus looking at the ES.2's...but reviews on most sites indicate a drive failure in no more than a year

:S

Help! Please! Would i need a raid array to meet my needs?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go with the Samsung. They make great drives that actually perform pretty well. I have 3 of those very drives in my lab backup server and I have been very happy with them overall.

Going with a RAID array could increase your performance, but may be overkill. You could go with 2 1.5TB Samsungs in RAID and get both a boost in speed and security.

Good luck!

Lutfij

Titan
Thanks for the quick reply!

What sort of RAID can i look into?
I've been doing research on google and the threads here on tom's...RAID 0 or RAID 1

Furthermore - can i make partitions (like i would normally on a HDD - C: D: E: ) on any RAID array?

Do you see me buy 1 Seagate Barracuda ES.2 for my boot and games drive along with the Samsung's (which'll be for storage)?

EDIT : I've decided to contact a relative in uk and get an SSD - I need recommendations to get one ONLY for boot disk and games (i plan to keep some games installed even after i've finished them)

here's what i've found on amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-X25-M-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B003F8KT1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290616007&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-X25-M-Mainstream-Solid-State/dp/B002IGT7IU/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1290616331&sr=8-39

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1-2-5-inch-Solid-State/dp/B0039SM0AS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290616548&sr=8-1

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Are you going for performance (RAID 0) or security/redundancy (higher level of RAID)?

The idea of getting an SSD for your OS and a RAID for storage is good, if you can afford it.

BTW, yes you can partition RAID arrays.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd want both - thas why i was also looking towards RAID 1+ 0 but then again its biggest downside is the cost of keeping 4 drives...

i have to SAVE up alot from my salary :p killing my dietary budget cos of it. But what can you guys suggest for moi! Bro, I'd need recommendations on uk sites, newegg prices wont work with uk rates and VAT.

I could look to getting raptors...if SSD's are expensive :p (i wish i could wait a bit :D at least for a lil price dip)