Sign in with
Your question

Help with SSD install on new system

Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2010 10:49:28 AM

I'm about to start on my PC build and I was wondering what the best way to install my SSD as my Win 7 boot drive would be? I've looked around here a little bit and from what I can gather what I see recommended is to hook up everything besides my standard HD, make sure my motherboard is in ACHI mode and then let Win 7 Pro do it's thing and once that's done hook up my standard HD. Is it the proper way to do it?

I've also seen a lot of people here recommend upgrading drivers or firmware before installing windows, but since this is a brand new build that's really not an option. Is it ok to update afterward? Also I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Intel drivers aren't recommended for the SF-1200 SSD's? Or something like that? Which drivers should I get once it's installed?

If it helps my SSD is a Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60 GB Solid State Drive MKNSSDCL60 GB-DX, CPU is an Intel 950, and MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.

More about : ssd install system

November 24, 2010 10:18:24 PM

Quote:
" I'm about to start on my PC build and I was wondering what the best way to install my SSD as my Win 7 boot drive would be? I've looked around here a little bit and from what I can gather what I see recommended is to hook up everything besides my standard HD, make sure my motherboard is in ACHI mode and then let Win 7 Pro do it's thing and once that's done hook up my standard HD. Is it the proper way to do it? "

that's how I did it..
I love it.

Thanks, what about updating the drivers though?
November 24, 2010 11:34:18 PM

Quote:
upon install of win7 with an active internet connection the windows installer installed everything for me.
what it didn't install during OS installation windows updates found after first run;
also updated drivers that were a version older than the ones on install.
I let win7 install most of my drivers, they install all certified drivers.

What about the F6 drivers I have read about here and what Intels ver 9 ahci driver? I seem to remember reading it was either better or worse then the SF-1200 default? I'm sure windows will probably give me something that would work, but I'd rather get the best drivers available, assuming they are different of course as I have no idea which drivers Win 7 will actually install.
Related resources
November 26, 2010 9:51:55 AM

Quote:
not sure about that, I'm on AMD and there a little different than Intel with configuration options - AFAIK.
I'm going to pass this thread along to someone else who can help...

Cool, thanks! I did a little bit of checking and I THINK either my mobo disk or Win 7 installed the intel version 10 drivers. So I think that means I'm ok?
November 26, 2010 10:05:56 AM

jimbodan1 said:
What about the F6 drivers I have read about here and what Intels ver 9 ahci driver? I seem to remember reading it was either better or worse then the SF-1200 default? I'm sure windows will probably give me something that would work, but I'd rather get the best drivers available, assuming they are different of course as I have no idea which drivers Win 7 will actually install.

Jim I can see that you read about the F6 drive and now you have a question about it.
You should have asked the question within the same thread as were you read about the F6 and not create a new thread.

Go back and search on F6 and you will see a few threads on thbis and all your answers will be there.

This way you canlearn how to do the F^ Drive thing and learn how to research issues.

Good luck it's all out there.
December 3, 2010 12:16:29 AM

Best answer selected by jimbodan1.
December 3, 2010 9:38:59 AM

Wow how did you give yourself the best answer?
!