Help with SSD install on new system

I'm about to start on my PC build and I was wondering what the best way to install my SSD as my Win 7 boot drive would be? I've looked around here a little bit and from what I can gather what I see recommended is to hook up everything besides my standard HD, make sure my motherboard is in ACHI mode and then let Win 7 Pro do it's thing and once that's done hook up my standard HD. Is it the proper way to do it?

I've also seen a lot of people here recommend upgrading drivers or firmware before installing windows, but since this is a brand new build that's really not an option. Is it ok to update afterward? Also I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Intel drivers aren't recommended for the SF-1200 SSD's? Or something like that? Which drivers should I get once it's installed?

If it helps my SSD is a Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60 GB Solid State Drive MKNSSDCL60 GB-DX, CPU is an Intel 950, and MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.
6 answers Last reply
More about help install system
  1. Quote:
    " I'm about to start on my PC build and I was wondering what the best way to install my SSD as my Win 7 boot drive would be? I've looked around here a little bit and from what I can gather what I see recommended is to hook up everything besides my standard HD, make sure my motherboard is in ACHI mode and then let Win 7 Pro do it's thing and once that's done hook up my standard HD. Is it the proper way to do it? "

that's how I did it..
    I love it.

Thanks, what about updating the drivers though?
  2. Quote:
    upon install of win7 with an active internet connection the windows installer installed everything for me.
    what it didn't install during OS installation windows updates found after first run;
    also updated drivers that were a version older than the ones on install.
    I let win7 install most of my drivers, they install all certified drivers.

What about the F6 drivers I have read about here and what Intels ver 9 ahci driver? I seem to remember reading it was either better or worse then the SF-1200 default? I'm sure windows will probably give me something that would work, but I'd rather get the best drivers available, assuming they are different of course as I have no idea which drivers Win 7 will actually install.
  3. Quote:
    not sure about that, I'm on AMD and there a little different than Intel with configuration options - AFAIK.
    I'm going to pass this thread along to someone else who can help...

Cool, thanks! I did a little bit of checking and I THINK either my mobo disk or Win 7 installed the intel version 10 drivers. So I think that means I'm ok?
  4. jimbodan1 said:
    What about the F6 drivers I have read about here and what Intels ver 9 ahci driver? I seem to remember reading it was either better or worse then the SF-1200 default? I'm sure windows will probably give me something that would work, but I'd rather get the best drivers available, assuming they are different of course as I have no idea which drivers Win 7 will actually install.

Jim I can see that you read about the F6 drive and now you have a question about it.
    You should have asked the question within the same thread as were you read about the F6 and not create a new thread.

Go back and search on F6 and you will see a few threads on thbis and all your answers will be there.

This way you canlearn how to do the F^ Drive thing and learn how to research issues.

Good luck it's all out there.
  5. Best answer selected by jimbodan1.
  6. Wow how did you give yourself the best answer?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage