Dual vertical monitors issue

lechuck

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I just upgraded from dual 19" 1280 x 1024 to dual 22" 1050 x 1680 (vertical). Before I turned them 90 degrees, everything ran very smoothly on my 8800gt. As soon as I put them in portrait mode, things didn't work out so well. When watching videos, there are obvious scan lines and when scrolling down web pages quickly, it can't load the information fast enough. My refresh rate is stuck at 60hz, though I am honestly not all that sure of if that would have any effect. It seems I might need a new video card, but was also thinking there might be a way to rotate the screen 90 degrees by some other means that the GPU might be able to handle better.
Since that is probably not an option, I was wondering what would be a good upgrade from an 8800GT that would definitely be able to hand my monitor set up.
SPECS:
Windows XP Pro
ASUS P5Q Pro
E8400 @3.6GHz
4GB DDR2800 RAM
8800GT

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hammeh

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
How much cash are you willing to spend on a new card? Before recommending anything you will need to tell us how many amps your PSU has on the +12V rail. This information is normally found on a sticker on the side of your PSU (you will need to remove the PC side casing)

The 8800GT is a good card, I can't see why it doesn't work in the above set up but maybe someone else will be able to shed some light on that.
If you are looking to upgrade you can either go for an nvidia GTS 250/ATI 4850 which will cost around £100 (excluding a new PSU if you need one) or you can go higher range with one of the nvidia GTX models or an ATI 4870.

Also if your motherboard supports SLI or crossfire (has 2 PCI-E x16 slots) then it might be worth looking into that option.

lechuck

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I also did not forsee the 8800gt giving me any problems with upgrade. I am wondering if it is nvidia's software doing the rotation that is causing the problem. Does ATI have better tools that run the card?

As for the extra specs, my mobo is xfire, but I wasn't really planning on using it (yet.) I was thinking of going ATI just in case, but my main concern is getting the dual monitors to work better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103932
That is my PSU. I looked at the sticker and found a bunch of numbers. Does 19 make sense?

As for cash, I was hoping to spend under $200.

Thanks!

Hammeh

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
With that power supply you will be able to run the nvidia GTS 250/ATI 4850 I suggested above without any problems.

It is probably better to wait to see if someone who knows what is happening here to comment before you purchase a new card though.

lechuck

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I got back an email from nvidia today that said this:
When using NVIDIA Rotation twice the memory is used for the particular display mode so there will be performance loss especially for two displays. This is expected behavior. Higher end GPU with considerably more memory perform better. An alternative would be to use natively rotated portrait displays and do not use the NVIDIA Rotation function.

Looks like an upgrade is in order. Do any of you ATI users have any feedback on rotation issues like this one?

Hammeh

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Soz I have no clue when it comes to ATI!
If more memory will help, you can get the GTS 250 with 1gb of VRAM or the more powerfull GTX 260 with 898MB of RAM both for decent prices.