SOMETHING) HAS TAKEN OVER MY WINDOWS 7

catandchuck

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello,
I took my PC just Last Sat, To have it checked for a Virous. My Tech said that he ran EVERY TOOL HE OWNS in his Shop........AND It All came Back CLEAN!!!I am not the Administrator on MY OWN PC, AND IT IS FRIVING ME CRAZY!! mY OLD pc WAS wINDOWS xp. iT WAS AN OLDER pc THAT i USED TO LET MY GRAND KIDS PLAY GAMES ON. WELL, Whatever THIS THING IS....GOT TO THAT ONE First. So, i THREW IT OUT. (Trashed)!!! so, Now, I think it has taken over my new PC. Which is Windows 7. My old one was XP. I think that it is RUNNING XP ON MY NEW ONE (Somehow)??? PLEZ HELP ME!!! Thanks!! Gone Nut's!!

catandchuck

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello,
I took my PC just Last Sat, To have it checked for a Virous. My Tech said that he ran EVERY TOOL HE OWNS in his Shop........AND It All came Back CLEAN!!!I am not the Administrator on MY OWN PC, AND IT IS FRIVING ME CRAZY!! mY OLD pc WAS wINDOWS xp. iT WAS AN OLDER pc THAT i USED TO LET MY GRAND KIDS PLAY GAMES ON. WELL, Whatever THIS THING IS....GOT TO THAT ONE First. So, i THREW IT OUT. (Trashed)!!! so, Now, I think it has taken over my new PC. Which is Windows 7. My old one was XP. I think that it is RUNNING XP ON MY NEW ONE (Somehow)??? PLEZ HELP ME!!! Thanks!! Gone Nut's!!

Need to start at the beggining here. What is happening, when did it start, messages coming up, etc... There is no boogey man that jumps around infecting computers, if you got a virus it probably came over from your old files if you moved them over from the old PC. Or you just simply need some PC training and nothing is actually wrong with the computer.

g-unit1111

Titan
OK - need a bit more info to go on, but please answer this first:

1. Did you buy a pre-built PC, or did you have one custom built? If so who was the manufacturer?

2. How was the PC behaving differently? What programs were you running and how were they affected?

3. Were you using any sort of virus protection before? And if you were using virus protection, what version of the software were you running? And if so did the virus protection software fail that badly that it needed to be taken to a tech?

4. Have you tried running a system restore on Windows 7 to the last date it worked properly?

5. And if the system restore doesn't work, have you tried running your PC in safe mode, and then running your anti-virus program in safe mode?

If all else fails after that - the best advice is to get your Windows disc and run a clean install of Windows 7. If you don't have a disc you can always order one from Newegg.

One other piece of advice before you answer is that if you bought a pre-built PC, the problem with those systems is that they include a lot of junk software to begin with. With any new pre-manufactured system it's ALWAYS a good idea to wipe the drive and do a clean format and install of Windows. The thing is with those systems the junk software - while some of it does give you full functionality - you will lose a bit with a clean install. But your system will run better as a result.

Can go back to system restore and restore to time before the kids arrived? Or whenever it was working fine?

windows-7-restore-points.gif