Sign in with
Your question

Hero to Zero

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 13, 2011 7:37:27 PM

Hey everyone, So in the race for a bigger E-peen I've been pushing my Core i7 920 and recently managed a respectable 4.2Ghz (200 x 20 + Turbo and HT), I had it stable as a large rock.

Sadly my brother has a much better chip than me and managed 4.3Ghz (with less volts than I need at 4Ghz) so obviously I wasn't happy with that and thought I'd atleast attempt to match his 4.3Ghz OC.

In the BIOS I set my multi to 21 x 190 BLCK to give me 4.1Ghz and I'll leave tubo on to give me 4.3Ghz, I wanted to make sure it would at least boot so I set the Vcore to 1.425V, QPI to 1.395V, IOH Core to 1.220V, DRAM to 1.66V and set some others but I can't remember what there called.

Hit F10 to save and quit only to find that my PC wouldn't post at all, just kept power cyclying (powered on for about 3-4 seconds then restarted), I hit the Clear CMOS botton and tried my orginal 4.2Ghz settings that I know are stable, But still no joy, I then tried 3.8Ghz with my 4.2Ghz voltages... Still no joy. Sad times indeed.

I'm typing this at stock speed :cry: 

Now when I boot I can hear coil whine that I couldn't hear before, and when I move my mouse I can hear coil whine... Did I damage something?

Could really use some helps please!

More about : hero

a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 8:42:18 AM

Wow.. can't help but think you've killed something.

It's never a good sign when after clearing CMOS, not then being able to use settings you've already had.

Can I ask why you left turbo on? Isn't it standard pratice to remove that?

Anyway.. not sure what, but something is probably quite poorly :( .
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 8:56:17 AM

Well I'm still just as confused but I have it fixed..

Flashed my mobo's BIOS (Gigabte GA-EX58-UD5) from F12 to F13J Beta, and all is well, First I tried my 4.2Ghz settings, 30 passes of IBT Max stress, then I tried 4.3Ghz 30 passes max stress and that was also perfectly fine.

Coil whine has magically disappeared....

I really have no idea what so ever about what happened before
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 10:04:24 AM

Hmm. Well hopefully it doesn't all go up in flames while you're in bed, but always glad to hear people have solved it!

Coil whine is what made me worry more than anything.. but if that's gone maybe the bios update has changed how it's sending power to teh CPU or one of them things I don't actually know what I'm talking about ;) .

Nice speed! Want to share the rest of your rig? ;) 
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 10:24:48 AM

Temps are good at <65C under IBT Max stress, So no flames :) 

The Coil whine concerned me too, Maybe the CPU power delivery was receiving to much voltage and causing over current protection to kick in? (I'm just making stuff up lol).

PC consists of:
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Corsair HX850
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Core i7 920 @ 4.3Ghz + HT
POV GTX570 Beast Ed. @ 925/1850/2200
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
Lamptron FC6 Fan Controller
Custom cable braiding
Custom sprayed Fans (7 In Total)
Custom Water Loop for GPU and CPU
Cold Cathode

Think thats it, Just waiting for nibitor 6.0 to come out so I can edit my GPU's BIOS to get more volts through it.

EDIT: Knew I forgot something

RAM is OCZ 3 x 1GB 1333Mhz 8-8-8-24 1T running @ 1230Mhz 7-7-7-21 1T Still working on that.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 11:47:15 AM

I shell get benchmarking then! :) 
January 14, 2011 9:51:54 PM

Rustyy117 said:

PC consists of:
Core i7 920 @ 4.3Ghz + HT

I've found just about every i7-920 I used ran extremely hot. My "wall" was around 4.2 GHz before I would get a few C below overheat shutdown.

I had better luck with the UD7 than the UD5, again, not sure why.

Eventually I eBay'd my i7-920 rig and got a Sandy Bridge which hits 5.0 GHz on air (but can't get much faster, even at sub zero).
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 9:57:52 PM

Cooling isn't an issue for me (<65C under load) but voltage is, I'm not really willing to put 1.4V+ through my chip, so I'll stick to 4.3Ghz with 1.360V

Sandy Bridge looks awesome, It would be great to have a 5Ghz CPU, but the extra 700Mhz over my current system just doesn't seem worth the cost outlay.
January 14, 2011 10:22:06 PM

Rustyy117 said:

Sandy Bridge looks awesome, It would be great to have a 5Ghz CPU, but the extra 700Mhz over my current system just doesn't seem worth the cost outlay.

Bu Sandy Bridge chips are cheap, $225 for the i5-2500K, $190 for a UD4 motherboard.

The cooling won't set you back either, under $100 total. So for $515 + what you already have (RAM, HD, case, power supply) you got yourself 5.0 GHz.
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2011 9:11:59 AM

solidliquid said:
..So for $515 + what you already have (RAM, HD, case, power supply) you got yourself 5.0 GHz.

$500+ for 5.0GHz, when he's already got 4.3GHz? What's the point?

For only £400 worth of liquid nitrogen I could probably get 7GHz but that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and get it. He's already get a processer than can handle anything thrown at it in todays market of software and games, so what's the point in spending another $500 just for a higher benchmark score?
January 15, 2011 11:45:18 AM

acer0169 said:
$500+ for 5.0GHz, when he's already got 4.3GHz? What's the point?

For only £400 worth of liquid nitrogen I could probably get 7GHz but that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and get it. He's already get a processer than can handle anything thrown at it in todays market of software and games, so what's the point in spending another $500 just for a higher benchmark score?

You are not making any sense.

1. This 5.1 GHz i5-2500K does not use any liquid nitrogen. It uses AIR, you know, like the stuff you breathe.

2. The 5.1 GHz i5-2500K runs 24x7 without needing any additional maintenance. No liquids to occasionally drain and refill, no tubes to clean out when fungus is among us, and certain no expensive liquid nitrogen dewars to rent at $10/day and refill at $250 each time they run dry.

3. The i5-2500K was not designed for a higher benchmark score, but for actual every day use. You know, like way faster than anything else out there. Mine came with a comprehensive 18 month warranty on all parts and labor.

I think it's funny when people say "why buy faster" when the entire computer industry was built on speed. You can retroactively ask the same question about any system you ever bought.

Why buy a 3.0 GHz system when your 2.6 GHz rig was almost as fast?
Why buy a 2.6 GHz system when your 2.2 GHz rig was almost as fast?
Why buy a 2.2 GHz system when your 1.8 GHz rig was almost as fast?

Pretty soon, my friend, you will tell me your 1.0 GHz Pentium III could "handle anything thrown at it ."

But to answer your question:

What's the point?

The point is, 5.1 GHz is faster, and the price/performance is ridiculously cheap.

Intelligent people clearly understand this, which is why I took great measures to insure that you would also.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 15, 2011 11:54:57 AM

The point is, is that its not worth the cost for the extra pwerformance compared to my exsisting setup. If I was buying new today then I'd build a sandy bridge based system.
Another point is that a core i7 920 @ 4.3Ghz isn't likely to struggle with games (what I use my PC for) anytime soon.
!